Three Honey Remedies to Relieve the Flu
Honey remedies are great to know when the seasons change…especially when they bring about sudden changes in temperature and your risk of getting the flu increases. It’s always good to have some effective natural options at hand in times of need.
Did you know that honey is a natural antibiotic? Thanks to its healing properties it’s been used in all sorts of remedies since ancient times. One of its main uses is for strengthening a person’s immune system and counteract diseases.
In this article, we’ll now give you more details about how to use honey to fight and treat the flu.
Honey remedies: A natural antibiotic
Honey has a nutritional value and has proven potent healing effects that can inhibit the influenza virus. It’s for this reason that’s an important substance to have when treating this disease. (However, keep in mind that antibiotics only fight bacteria, not viruses).
Also, honey has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, as if that wasn’t enough, it has prebiotic properties and improves cardiovascular function as well. As with all-natural ingredients, its nutritional value and main properties may vary depending on the type, quality, floral variety, and geographical origin. However, in general, we can say that this food is rich in vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, amino acids, proteins, and enzymes, among other components beneficial to health.
That said, let’s take a look at the remedies!
1. Honey remedies with cinnamon
The first honey remedy we’re going to give you to treat the flu is very simple to prepare and also quite delicious. All you have to do is mix honey with Ceylon cinnamon powder to get a dense preparation that’s similar to a syrup.
When you mix these two ingredients, you basically enhance the properties of honey with those of Ceylon cinnamon. In case you haven’t heard, it stands on its own due to its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. In addition, this powerful combination can stimulate your body and overcome the exhaustion that results from the flu.
- 4 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon powder (60 g)
- 4 tbsp raw honey (80 g)
Preparation and intake
- Mix both ingredients and keep them in a tightly closed jar. If the honey gets too hard just melt it in a warm water bath.
- Then, take one tablespoon every day on an empty stomach and one tablespoon half an hour before each meal if you have the flu.
2. Honey remedy with marinated garlic
The second one of these honey remedies for treating the flu involves the maceration of raw garlic. This plant contains allicin, so it’s quite potent against viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even parasites. In addition, it’s also good for preventing cardiovascular diseases.
You should prepare this remedy anytime you wish to prevent the flu or just take it when you feel the first symptoms of it. This way, you’ll strengthen your immune system, relieve the annoying symptoms, and speed up healing.
- 10 cloves of garlic (150 g)
- 7 tbsp of honey (140 g)
Preparation and intake
- To begin, peel the garlic cloves and cut them into slices.
- Then, put them in a jar along with the honey.
- Let it sit in a cool dark place for a week.
- Take a teaspoon on an empty stomach. If you already have the flu, take up to five teaspoons throughout the day if you don’t have any digestive discomfort.
3. Honey remedy with orange and ginger
Finally, here’s a syrup you can make yourself at home as it’s rather simple and cheap.
To make it, you’ll use the orange peel because it’s rich in vitamin C, which is good for healing respiratory conditions and increase your body’s defenses in general. In addition, you’ll also add ginger, a spicy ingredient that generates body heat and helps you when you have a fever.
- The peel of 2 organic oranges
- 1 tsp of ginger powder (7 g) or a slice of fresh ginger (10 g)
- 6 tbsp of honey (120 g)
- 2 cups of water or natural orange juice (500 ml)
Preparation and take
- Boil the orange peels and ginger together in the juice or water for 30 minutes.
- Then, add the honey and let it boil for 15 more minutes. Strain and let it cool down.
- Finally, store in a jar in your fridge and take 3 tablespoons a day with your meals if you have the flu.
Now you know some great remedies with honey to treat the flu! Similarly, they’re also preventive treatments that help raise your defenses. Keep in mind that prevention is the best medicine. However, bear in mind that these remedies are best for adults, as honey is not safe for babies.It might interest you...