The Key to a Healthy Romantic Relationship
People who obsess about finding the ideal partner will suffer constantly, which will add nothing to their life. Firstly, no one’s perfect. However, there are real people we can still build our happiness with.
Given that we’re also not perfect, we can find the key to a successful and long-lasting relationship in quite simple but wonderful actions. For instance, enjoying yourselves with each other, laughing with each other, being civil and understanding when having an argument, or when a problem arises, are prime examples of such actions.
Always being able to be ourselves in a relationship, not feeling judged, or manipulated, and even having fun doing nothing with your partner are already great achievements.
In today’s article we’re going to talk about the importance of how to have a healthy romantic relationship.
Find someone you always enjoy spending time with
Our journey towards emotional growth and a healthy romantic relationship undergoes many changes throughout our lives. Loving requires a bit of wisdom, a magic connection and a good portion of self-respect. This last aspect tells us who we should continue dating and who we shouldn’t.
We encourage you to think about all of these aspects for a moment. This will help you to understand this essential magic that encourages a more mature and conscious relationship that makes happiness a common theme in your life.
My partner should not extinguish the fire that feeds my soul
Some people are extroverts. This means they’re geared more towards enthusiasm, amusement, sharing moments with other people and giving their best to everyone else. However, there are times where extroverts don’t always choose to have a relationship with the “right person.”
For instance, there are some people who don’t like it when their partner is open with other people. Or these people don’t like it when their partner is the bright spark in every meeting or the life of the party whereas they feel “hindered.”
- Distrustful people with low self-esteem tend to have complicated romantic relationships.
- The reason for this is that they want to “control” their partner. They “extinguish” their partner’s enthusiasm and energy, so to speak, because they fear they’re going to be abandoned at any minute.
- When romantic relationships involve very different personalities then problems may arise.
- Sometimes love isn’t enough, especially when a third component appears: distrust. For instance, distrustful people could say the following things: “you’re always interested in everyone else but me,” whenever you’re happy it seems like you don’t care about me.”
We must be careful in these types of situations. When we notice that our personality has changed, that our soul doesn’t have as much “fire” in it as it used to have, and we walk on eggshells around our partner, then we truly stop being ourselves.
You know it’s time to make a decision when you stop being yourself. Sadly, you simply don’t recognize your reflection in the mirror, because you’re simply just a remnant of your past happiness.
Being in a healthy romantic relationship means, above all, creating happiness together. However, if your relationship brings nothing but sadness in your life and you lose your integrity, you may start to feel depressed. But you don’t have to let this happen.
Someone who truly loves you will make you laugh
It doesn’t matter if he likes modern music and you like classical music, or that he likes to stay at home and you like doing outdoor activities.
- Two people don’t have to be similar to be together in a healthy romantic relationship. The most important thing is that you share the same values, and most importantly, that the times you spend together doing nothing are pleasurable and full of mutual understanding, relaxation and laughter.
- People often say that great couples are best friends and that they have a great sex life. However, these popular sayings often hide a great truth.
- This truth is that intimacy, desire, respect and compromise are the foundations of a healthy romantic relationship. Each one of these requirements leads to something great: happiness.
It’s also important to clear up a few things when talking about the importance of a sense of humor in a healthy romantic relationship:
- Humor shouldn’t be used to attack your partner, like in cases when someone is being sarcastic, for instance.
- There are some people who use subtle and destructive language to abuse others by using sarcasm. However, here humor comes in the disguise of aggression. Never let anyone ridicule you or make you feel bad when telling a joke.
Healthy couples laugh with each other, and the humor in these relationships is positive and even therapeutic.
Therefore, we should always consider happiness to be the best ingredient to having a healthy romantic relationship, where we smile even during hard times in the relationship.