The Four Best Remedies for Treating Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection that is spread through genital or oral secretions, mucous, or lesions during sexual contact.
Many people with genital herpes have no symptoms, but when they do, the infection appears as sores or blisters on the genitals, anus, or mouth, causing itching and pain in the affected area.
Herpes lesions usually remit with treatment, but may recur periodically.
An estimated 16% of the population has some form of herpes, according to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and many have no symptoms at all.
Here we’ll tell you more about herpes and share the best home remedies for treating genital herpes naturally.
What is genital herpes?
Genital herpes is, according to information obtained by the U.S. National Medical Library, the consequence of infection caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
Genital herpes is the condition caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). In most cases, this is transmitted sexually and it affects just as many men as women.
The most common symptoms are itching, pain, and a burning sensation in the genital area, buttocks, and anus. If you notice blisters or sores on your skin, you should go straight to a doctor as soon as possible.
If you don’t treat herpes, it could cause much more serious problems in the long term, such as varicella or facial paralysis.
However, to deal with the early symptoms, or in combination with the treatment provided by your doctor, you can also use some natural home remedies for treating genital herpes.
Home remedies for treating genital herpes
1. Brewer’s yeast
Brewer’s yeast is a really healthy food that many people take as a daily nutritional supplement. It’s rich in nutrients and contains a lot of group B vitamins.
- Because of all these nutrients, this superfood balances the nervous system according to this study, carried out by the Hospital Clinico Virgen de la Arrixaca in Murcia (Spain), which plays a key role in outbreaks of herpes.
- In addition, brewer’s yeast is also good because it contains lysine. This amino acid slows the growth of the virus and therefore prevents repeat outbreaks, as this study from the University of Indiana affirms.
The best way to use brewer’s yeast is to consume it each day. You can mix it in with your food or in a drink (yogurt, juice, soup, pasta, salad), and it has a pleasant toasted flavor.
2. Baking soda and Niauli oil
Niauli essential oil (Melaleuca viridiflora) stands out for its power in fighting infections, as this study from the University of Western Australia confirms, as well as having qualities to boost skin regeneration. This makes it one of the best oils for preventing and combating herpes.
You can also mix it with baking soda and make a remedy that should sooth the itching and maintain the pH balance of your skin.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (9 g)
- 5 drops of niauli essential oil
- 1/2 glass of warm water (100 ml)
Preparation and application
- Mix all the ingredients together so that they dissolve well.
- It’s best not to apply the remedy topically as it could cause irritation. It’s best to use it an an infusion, following your doctor’s advice.
3. Coconut oil and Ravintsara oil
Another great combination for treating genital herpes is coconut oil mixed with ravintsara essential oil (cinnamomum camphora). Because of the lauric acid it contains, coconut oil fights all sorts of pathogens, and is an antifungal agent, according to this study from the University of Iceland.
Meanwhile, the ravintsara oil boosts this even more, since ravintsara is an excellent antiviral cure, as confirmed in this study from the National Jeju University of Korea.
You might be interested in:
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil (15 g)
- 10 drops of ravintsara essential oil
Preparation and application
- Mix both oils and drink them in an infusion.
4. Olive Oil and Propolis
Another really simple home remedy for treating genital herpes is the mixture of olive oil and propolis.
Olive oil deeply nourishes and repairs the skin, as well as being an antioxidant, as this study from the University of Deakin (Australia) affirms.
Meanwhile, propolis is a natural antibiotic that fights fungi, viruses, and bacteria, as confirmed by this study from the KPC Medical College in India. It also speeds up and improves the healing of skin lesions.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (16 g)
- 3 drops of alcohol-free propolis extract
Brazilian green propolis is one of the most curative varieties known.
Preparation and Application
- Mix the two ingredients and make a delicious infusion to take once a day.