Tangerine Peel Tea: A Remedy to Fall Asleep in 5 Minutes?
In recent years, tangerine peel tea has become popular as a remedy to fall asleep in five minutes. However, to date, no scientific evidence supports this fact. Therefore, its “effects” are due to word of count.
While it’s true that tangerine peel contains some nutrients that contribute to well-being, many of the “super properties” that have been attributed to it have been disproved. What else should you know about it? In this interesting article, we tell you all about it.
What’s tangerine peel tea?
Tangerine peel tea is a natural drink that, as its name suggests, is made with the skin of this citrus fruit. Although most people tend to only eat the pulp of the fruit, the truth is that its peel also contains nutrients that help promote well-being. What can you get with this ingredient?
According to data from a study published in the journal Latin American Nutrition Archives, tangerine peel contains more fiber than other citrus peels such as orange and grapefruit. Likewise, it contaibs more magnesium and carotenoids. It also contains ascorbic acid to a lesser extent.
This same publication suggests that tangerine peel is most suitable for reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and other disorders associated with lipid oxidation. However, more studies are required in this regard.
Does tangerine peel tea help you fall sleep in five minutes?
As you can see, tangerine peel contains nutrients and antioxidants that have been associated with health benefits. However, no research supports that it may be beneficial in fighting insomnia. No evidence shows that it can help you fall sleep “in 5 minutes”.
In any case, as it’s a widespread remedy in popular culture, some suggest that it’s worked for them when they can’t fall asleep. If you want to try it out, go right ahead.
There are no records of side effects from drinking this tea, except in case of a citrus fruit allergy. In addition, as you can see, consuming it can benefit you in other ways.
You should also read: Delicious Tangerine Mojito Recipes to Cool You Off
How to make tangerine peel tea
Whether you choose to drink it as a sleep aid, or simply to improve your health, you can make tangerine peel tea in simple steps. Keep in mind that it isn’t a “miracle cure” or a treatment against diseases. As part of a healthy diet, it can help boost your well-being.
- A cup of water (250 ml)
- The peel of a fresh tangerine
- Optional herbs: chamomile, lavender, or valerian
- Firstly, pour the equivalent of a cup of water into a pot and heat.
- When it boils, add the tangerine peel and leave the mixture to boil for two to three minutes.
- If you want, add a tablespoon of chamomile, lavender, or valerian. These plants help relax you and experts recommend them for sleep.
Discover: Learn All about the Different Types of Insomnia
What can you do if you have sleep problems?
Sleep problems are becoming increasingly more common in the population. If left untreated, they can affect physical and mental health. So if you suffer from insomnia or other sleep problems, consult your doctor to try to discover their cause. After requesting the relevant tests, the professional will determine if you need medical treatment.
Similarly, you can try to apply some basic cares that contribute to good sleep. Taking advice from the National Sleep Foundation into account, try the following:
- Try to clear your mind and erase all the distressing thoughts that cause anxiety and depression, especially at night.
- It’s important for you to understand that nighttime is for sleeping. Once you become aware of this, you’ll say goodbye to the bad habits that cause insomnia. Don’t work at night, set your electronics aside, and focus on relaxing.
- Stop overthinking. Otherwise, you won’t be able to fall asleep. If you have a problem, don’t meditate too much at night because there isn’t much you can do about it at that time. You should ideally recharge your batteries so that you can think clearly about how to solve and face your problems.
- If you can’t sleep, go to another room and do something relaxing until you feel tired.
Respect your sleep schedules. Wake up and fall asleep at the same time, even on the weekends.
- Make your room a suitable place for rest. Ensure a good environment, keep light sources away, and make sure your bed is comfortable.
In short, you can try tangerine peel tea as a supplement to try to fall sleep, but you must be aware that no evidence supports this fact. On the other hand, if you have sleep problems, it’s best to consult your doctor to get an adequate treatment.