8 Surprising Benefits of Chia Seeds
According to the American Society for Nutrition, they’re beneficial for the body for the following reasons in particular:
- They contain more potassium than bananas or plantains.
- Also, these seeds contain more proteins than vegetables.
- These seeds have twice as much fiber as oats.
- They have three times as much iron than lentils and spinach.
- They also boast triple the amount of antioxidants as cranberries.
- Chia seeds provide five times as much calcium as milk.
In this article, we’ll clue you in on some of their benefits. They’ll definitely motivate you to include them in your daily diet.
1. Weight loss
Chia seeds help speed up metabolism and burn fat. When combined with water and lemon, they help cleanse the body and fight constipation.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds ( 5 gr)
- A cup of hot water (200 gr)
- 1 lemon (100 gr)
- First, divide the water into two cups and leave the chia seeds soaking in one of them.
- Let the seeds soak for at least 40 minutes (the mixture should become visibly denser).
- After 40 minutes, juice the lemon and pour the juice into the other cup of water.
- Combine both liquids and mix until well integrated.
For best results, drink on an empty stomach.
Also see: Four Detox Drinks for Weight Loss
2. Healthy heart
These seeds are a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids which help keep the circulatory system running smoothly.
- They help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Plus, they reduce the risk of suffering from chronic inflammatory diseases.
- These seeds also reduce the risk of nervous system complications.
3. Big energy servings
By eating chia seeds, you can provide your body with a good dose of complex carbs. These nutrients give your body energy for long periods of time.
If you’ve ever felt low on energy and tend to get tired easily, adding chia seeds to your diet might be a good idea. Similarly, if you play sports or normally have very active days, chia seeds will help boost your endurance.
We recommend that you read: Energy Draining Habits that You Should Quit Now
4. Prevention of premature skin aging
Thanks to the antioxidants in chia seeds, they help speed up skin reparation and help reduce the chances of further damage.
Chia seeds fight free radicals, which is why you should eat them to help slow down cell aging and purify your body.
5. Joint pain
Because they’re great antioxidants and contain omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds help relieve joint inflammation pain.
At the same time, they stimulate collagen production thanks to their high zinc and copper contents. That’s why chia seeds help joints function properly. Also, they reduce the risk of problems that result from arthrosis, arthritis, and dislocations.
6. Muscle mass
They’re a recommended food for increasing muscle mass because they contain a lot of fiber, omega 3, omega-6, and omega-9.
At the same time, they have a regenerating and healing effect which is helpful for high-intensity workouts.
7. Hydration for your body
These seeds can absorb between 10 to 12 times their weight in water. Thus, eating them helps keep your electrolytes balanced and also keep your body hydrated for longer.
8. They promote a better mood
These seeds are full of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid for serotonin production, which is commonly known as the happy hormone.
As a result, eating chia seeds may help regulate your sleep, improve your mood, and relieve depression and anxiety.
How can you consume chia seeds?
In addition to eating chia seeds on an empty stomach, you can eat them at any time of the day and add them to your favorite dishes as well.
Combine them with:
- Baked goods
We want to highlight that you shouldn’t consume excessive amounts of these seeds. An adequate serving is a maximum of two tablespoons a day. This daily serving may help reduce your risk of suffering from possible gastrointestinal and arterial problems as well as blood sugar imbalances.