Ripen an avocado with one of these hacks
This fruit is one of the most delicious and nutritional fruits out there and you can easily incorporate them into your regular diet. If you like it but you seldom find any that’s ready to eat, then check out these hacks on how to ripen an avocado quickly.
Most people can visually distinguish two varieties but, in reality, there are about 400 different types of avocado, as detailed in the Cultivos Tropicales publication. The most popular are the small “Hass,” commonly used in the preparation of guacamole, and the “strong” flavored avocado, which usually accompanies various types of dishes.
Due to their soft, creamy texture and special flavor, avocadoes are now part of the cuisine of many countries. In addition, from a nutritional point of view, this fruit provides essential fatty acids, proteins, and antioxidants.
The main drawback when buying them is that it’s hard to know when they’re ready to eat. Most places sell them when they’re still green so you can let them finish ripening at home.
It’s for this reason that it’s good to know there are some popular methods that can speed up ripening. But, even though these seem to be popular myths, they seem to be quite useful, in fact. Today we’ll tell you about them. You can’t miss it!
How to ripen an avocado in the microwave
It can take several days for an avocado to ripen through its normal process, depending on how prematurely it was harvested. But if you need it ripe soon, try this microwave method that, according to some, will soften your avocado within a matter of minutes.
Before starting, keep in mind that this technique could slightly change the natural flavor. But it will still be perfect for making guacamole, salads, smoothies, and other recipes.
Method for ripening an avocado in a microwave
- Use a fork to squeeze the sides of the avocado several times.
- Place it on a plate with a napkin or plastic lid on top to keep it from exploding in the microwave.
- Heat it for 30 seconds, and if it still isn’t soft enough, heat it for 30 more seconds.
- Wait for it to cool down a bit, then cut it as usual.
Read also 5 Energizing Smoothies with Avocado
How to ripen an avocado with aluminum foil
You can also use aluminum foil to ripen an avocado in just a few minutes. You won’t use a microwave here; instead, you’ll heat it on a baking sheet at 400ºF.
Method for ripening an avocado with aluminum foil
- Use a generous amount of aluminum foil, enough to cover the avocado completely.
- Place it on a baking sheet and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Wait until it has completely cooled, then remove the paper.
How to ripen avocado with a paper bag
A paper lunch bag is great for accelerating avocado ripening, as it traps ethylene gases. This method takes more time–and patience–than the previous two, but it has the advantage of retaining the taste and all of the fruit’s properties.
Method for ripening an avocado inside a paper bag
- Place the avocado inside the paper bag, making sure there are no holes in it.
- Add an apple or tomato to increase the production of ethylene gas.
- Close the bag and keep at a temperature between 65 and 75 degrees F.
- Your avocado will be ready for consumption within a few days.
How to ripen avocado that’s been cut
If you’ve cut an avocado that wasn’t yet ripe, just use this interesting hack before it goes brown.
Method for ripening a cut avocado
- Before wrapping it up, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the exposed pulp.
- Close the two sections with the pit in and wrap it in clear plastic wrap (as if it were a whole avocado).
- Place in the refrigerator until it ripens.
How to ripen avocado with newspaper
Even though this is one of the oldest techniques out there, many people still use it at home.
Method for ripening an avocado with newspaper
- Wrap the unripe avocado in a sheet of newspaper and place it in a warm area such as the stove (you don’t have to turn it on).
- Let it sit for a few days, or until you notice it’s getting softer.
Now you know how to ripen avocado when you bought it still unripe and want to eat it sooner. Choose whichever method you prefer and carefully follow the instructions for good results. Did it work?It might interest you...