Prepare Purple Sauerkraut at Home to Strengthen Your Intestinal Flora
Did you know that sauerkraut can help improve your digestion and fight yeast infections? Learn how to prepare it to take advantage of its benefits!
Sauerkraut is a probiotic that has become popular in recent years for its ability to strengthen the bacterial flora that protects the gut.
It’s the product of a fermentation process of cabbage leaves in salted water. After several days, this process brings together healthy bacteria and yeast that promote well-being.
Eating this food stimulates the growth of microorganisms such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli whose activity is responsible for facilitating the digestive process.
These microorganisms also support the breakdown of lactose, sugars and other substances that are retained in the colon.
In fact, sauerkraut offers interesting benefits for the health of the immune system. This is because it improves the antibodies’ response to the proliferation of harmful germs like E. coli and C. difficile.
Best of all is that it’s one of the most economical fermented products and can be prepared at home by following a few simple steps.
We know that many people haven’t tried to make it at home yet. So, we want to share a handy recipe that uses purple cabbage.
Purple sauerkraut to strengthen your intestinal flora
Purple sauerkraut is a natural probiotic that gives the gut extra healthy bacteria to regulate the pH of its flora. It does this especially in the face of imbalances caused by harmful microorganisms.
While you can also achieve this effect by eating foods like natural yogurt, this option is lower in calories and perfect for those who prefer plant sources of nutrients.
Purple cabbage leaves contain components called isothiocyanates, which have been linked to the prevention of some types of cancers.
The bacteria and yeast they contain are concentrated in salted water during fermentation, creating a super food to balance the flora of the intestinal tract.
This not only lowers the risk of developing diseases in the colon, but also controls symptoms such as gas, inflammation and abdominal pain.
Furthermore, since purple cabbage regulates the pH of the stomach, it’s ideal for controlling the excessive production of stomach juices, which tends to cause gastritis, ulcers and acid reflux.
Moreover, its nutrients strengthen immune health, reducing the susceptibility to contracting infections by viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
This means that it’s a good supplement for preventing common conditions like the flu and the common cold when ingested regularly.
In turn, it has an interesting effect on metabolic health. This is because it accelerates the processes that remove the waste retained in the body.
In addition to all this, consuming purple cabbage provides other benefits such as:
- Being in a better mood.
- Increased physical and mental productivity.
- Protecting cardiovascular health.
- Preventing the aging of the skin.
- Preventing diseases in the urinary tract and the vagina.
Read this article: You’ll Love These 7 Ways to Improve Your Mood Naturally
How to prepare purple sauerkraut at home
This purple sauerkraut recipe is ideal to combat many common disorders that affect your health.
However, you don’t need to suffer from any particular condition to get all of its benefits.
You can prepare and consume it anytime and use all its nutrients as a complement to your diet.
This is how you can maintain the health of the bacterial flora in your gut as well as prevent many diseases from developing.
- 1 green cabbage
- 2 purple cabbages
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt (36 g)
- Water (as much as necessary)
- An airtight glass jar
- Chop the cabbage leaves or grate them to make them finer.
- Put them in a glass jar and then add the tablespoons of sea salt.
- Pour a small stream of water over the leaves. Then, push them down to leave some space between them and the lid.
- The cabbage will begin to create its natural juice during the fermentation process and both its texture and odor will change.
- Cover the product with a paper towel or, if you like, leave it uncovered in a place where it won’t be contaminated or where insects can’t enter it.
- Continue pressing the product down several times a day, so the leaves release their juices.
- After one or two days, the juice will have risen above the cover and will begin to have a strong flavor.
- Remove the layer of waste that forms on its surface and put it in a dark place for two or three weeks.
- After this period of time has passed, consume the sauerkraut that you want. In fact, you can also take advantage of its juice.
- You can add it to your salads and meals.
As you can see, it’s very easy to prepare your own sauerkraut at home. This will give your gut probiotics and help you avoid health problems.