How Purple Sauerkraut Can Strengthen Intestinal Flora
Sauerkraut is a probiotic that has become popular in recent years for its ability to strengthen intestinal flora responsible for protecting the gut. It’s the product of a fermentation process of cabbage leaves in salted water. After several days, this process brings together healthy bacteria and yeast that can help to promote well-being.
Eating this food stimulates the growth of microorganisms such as bifidobacteria and lactobacillius whose activity is responsible for facilitating the digestive process. These microorganisms also support the breakdown of lactose, sugars and other substances that are retained in the colon.
In fact, sauerkraut is also very beneficial for the health of the immune system. This is because it improves the antibodies’ response to the proliferation of harmful germs like E. coli and C. difficile.
Best of all is that it’s one of the most economical fermented products and can be prepared at home by following a few simple steps. We know that not many people have tried this at home yet, and so we’ll be sharing a handy recipe using this purple cabbage.
Purple sauerkraut to strengthen intestinal flora
Purple sauerkraut is a natural probiotic that gives the gut extra healthy bacteria to regulate the pH of its flora. It does this especially in the face of imbalances caused by harmful microorganisms.
While you can also achieve this effect by eating foods like natural yogurt, this option is lower in calories and perfect for those who prefer to get their nutrients from plants. Purple cabbage leaves contain components called isothiocyanates, which have been linked to the prevention of some types of cancers.
The bacteria and yeast they contain are concentrated in salted water during fermentation, creating a super food that can balance and strengthen intestinal flora. This not only lowers the risk of developing diseases in the colon, but also controls symptoms such as gas, inflammation and abdominal pain.
Furthermore, since purple cabbage regulates the pH of the stomach, it’s ideal for controlling the excessive production of stomach juices. Juices which can tend to cause gastritis, ulcers and acid reflux.
See more: Four Homemade Antacids to Soothe Reflux
Moreover, its nutrients strengthen immune health, reducing the possibilities of contracting infections through viruses, bacteria, and fungi. This means that it’s a good supplement for preventing common conditions like the flu and the common cold when ingested regularly.
In turn, it has a positive effect on metabolic health. This is due it accelerating the processes that remove the waste retained in the body.
In addition to all this, consuming purple cabbage provides other benefits such as:
- Being in a better mood
- Increased physical and mental productivity
- Protecting cardiovascular health
- Preventing the aging of the skin
- Preventing diseases in the urinary tract and the vagina
Read this article: You’ll Love These 7 Ways to Improve Your Mood Naturally
How to prepare purple sauerkraut at home
This purple sauerkraut recipe is ideal to combat many common disorders that affect your health. However, you don’t need to suffer from any particular condition to obtain all of its benefits.
You can prepare and consume it anytime and use all its nutrients as a complement to your diet. This is how you can strengthen intestinal flora in your gut as well as preventing many diseases from developing.
- 1 green cabbage
- 2 purple cabbages
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt
- Water (as much as necessary)
- An airtight glass jar
- Firstly, chop the cabbage leaves or grate them to make them finer.
- Then put them in a glass jar and add the tablespoons of sea salt.
- After that, pour a little water over the leaves. Then, push them down to leave some space between them and the lid.
- The cabbage will begin to create its natural juice during the fermentation process and both its texture and odor will change.
- Next, cover the product with a paper towel or, if you like, leave it uncovered in a place where it won’t be contaminated or where insects can’t enter it.
- Continue pressing the product down several times a day, so the leaves release their juices.
- After one or two days, the juice will have risen above the cover and will begin to have a strong flavor.
- Finally, remove the layer of waste that will form on its surface and put it in a dark place for two or three weeks.
- After this period of time has passed, the sauerkraut is ready to eat. You can also take advantage of its juice.
- Additionally, you can add it to your salads and meals.
As you can see, it’s very easy to prepare your own sauerkraut at home. It will help to strengthen your intestinal flora, and will improve your health at the same time.