Pennyroyal: The Benefits and Much More
The pennyroyal plant is a medicinal plant with extraordinary properties that are very beneficial to your body. It can be used topically, to slim down, relax, as well as create a tea with a delicious flavor.
Pennyroyal is an aromatic plant in the mint family. It originated in West Asia in the basin of the Mediterranean Sea.
In addition, it can measure up to 11 to 15 inches (30 to 40 centimeters). Its leaves are dark green and it has small purple flowers.
Nowadays, pennyroyal is an herb that is commonly used in teas. It contains minerals such as potassium and phosphorus, and it also has medicinal properties that are very advantageous for your body. Its exquisite flavor can be enhanced with a few drops of lemon and a little honey, among other ingredients.
Benefits of pennyroyal
- Pennyroyal tea is perfect to relieve digestive problems.
- It’s used as a relaxant, expectorant, and antimicrobial and helps you slim down.
- You can use it to heal wounds.
- It’s an antioxidant.
This article may interest you: The Benefits of Mint Oil for Your Body
- Pennyroyal is frequently used to relieve pain and stomach problems. The tea is digestive thanks to its antispasmodic properties, according to this study conducted by the National Research Center in Egypt. This is why it helps control colic and flatulence.
- A cup of pennyroyal tea is an ideal relaxer, according to this study by the Federal University of Ceará in Brasil. Not only does it calm down your stomach, but it will also destress you. The delicious aroma and taste of this mint can help reduce nervousness. It’s perfect for just before bed and to get the best rest.
- This tea acts as a natural cough expectorant, according to this study by the Research Center of Barij Essence Pharmaceutical Company in Iran. It’s recommended to prevent the spreading of respiratory viruses. It helps to disinfect and alleviate the secretions that build up in your lungs. Therefore, it’s ideal if you have bronchitis.
- It helps fight colds.
Calming, antimicrobial, and slimming effects
- One of the most renowned characteristics of this tea is that it helps you slim down. It’s one of the herbs that fewer calories contain. Thus, it’s recommended that you drink it if you want to lose weight or if you’re on a diet. Of course, without a diet and workout routine, this tea won’t be very helpful. There are no miracle remedies.
- You can apply this plant topically. You can use it to clean cuts and wounds, thanks to its healing properties, according to this study conducted by the State University of Santa Cruz.
- Also, it’s believed it can help relieve menstrual cramps and fight vaginal infections thanks to its antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to make pennyroyal tea
It’s very simple to make tea with this herb. The first thing you should know is that there are two ways to prepare it: you can use store-bought tea bags or make it using natural leaves. The latter option is better to maximize its benefits.
Read on: Four Infusions to Cleanse Your Body
- First of all, boil water, either in a tea kettle or a pot. It’s better if you use drinking water.
- Then, put in the tea bag or four or to five leaves from the plant.
- After that, turn off the burner and wait five minutes for the temperature to lower so that you can taste and enjoy it.
- Finally, add some sugar. However, if you drink it to lose weight, it’s better if you don’t add any kind of sweetener.
It’s important to keep in mind that consuming this tea in excess can produce unwanted side effects. You should drink it in moderation since it can cause throat pain, excessive sweating, thirst, headaches, and diarrhea. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should consult your doctor immediately.