Onion, Garlic, and Lemon: The Three Superfoods
By themselves, onion, garlic, and lemon are extremely beneficial for your health. By mixing them in a unique remedy, however, you can get the benefits of all three combined.
Onions, garlic and lemons: three superfoods that you absolutely must have in your homes. They are used in thousands of recipes and also in home made remedies. In this article, we want to tell you why you should eat onion, garlic, and lemon on a daily basis.
The properties of onions
People have used this edible bulb in Asia and Europe for thousands of years, as well as in America. It is one of the most amazing superfoods of all, and can bring us the following benefits:
It’s a great source of nutrients. Onions give us a good amount of water and essential amino acids. On top of that, they also give us:
- Minerals (Sulfur, sodium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous)
- Vitamins (B complex, C, and E)
See also:8 Little-known Benefits of Onions
It improves your kidney function.
In the first place, thanks to its diuretic action, eating onions is good for patients with renal problems (stones, renal insufficiency, etc.). It’s also recommended for people who have hypertension and liquid retention.
It’s an expectorant.
When you suffer from respiratory illnesses like pharyngitis or bronchitis, it can help you to get rid of the mucus. It’s also highly recommended if you have a cold.
It lowers cholesterol.
Eating this superfood lowers the fat levels in your blood and reduces bad cholesterol (LDL). Furthermore, it also helps to clean your arteries naturally.
It balances your blood sugar.
Finally, people who have diabetes can find onions to be a great help. This is due to their ability to reduce your blood sugar levels.
The properties of garlic
The second of today’s essential superfoods is garlic. Hundreds of dishes just wouldn’t be the same without it. Its cloves give food a really characteristic flavor, and they boast dozens of benefits.
Among them, the ones that stand out most are:
- Better circulation: This is thanks to a compound called allicin. It helps to prevent the formation of blood clots and increases your blood flow.
- Lower blood pressure: Together with circulatory benefits, we should also mention that this bulb has the ability to balance your blood pressure. Because of this, it’s recommended for those who suffer from hypertension.
- Lower cholesterol: Since this property has such a large impact on your blood, it’s something we just can’t ignore. Garlic reduces your cholesterol and the levels of lipids accumulated in your arteries.
- It strengthens your immune system: The compounds in garlic improve your natural defenses. Because of this, eating garlic on a regular basis can reduce the number of infectious illnesses you are at risk of getting. This includes illnesses like colds, the flu, and tonsillitis.
- It’s an anti-inflammatory: Another natural benefit of garlic is the fact that it can reduce swelling and inflammation. One example of this is its use for joint problems (arthrosis or arthritis) and prostate inflammation in men.
The properties of lemons
The third and last of our superfoods today is the wonderful lemon! This citrus fruit is well known for its bright color and acidic flavor. It’s such a versatile fruit and can be used in many things ranging from soups, to desserts, to salads. You can even use it to make teas that have curative and preventative properties.
Here are some of the many benefits of lemons:
- It strengthens your immune system. Just like with garlic, lemon strengthens your immune system. This can help you avoid getting viral illnesses. For example, if you drink half a cup of lemon juice, your body will get 53 mg of vitamin C. This vitamin naturally stimulates your body’s defenses.
- It detoxifies your body. Many of the diseases we suffer from are really caused by an accumulation of impurities and waste.
- Lemon also has the ability to naturally purify your liver and your gall bladder. This means it encourages the production of bile and reduces liver fat.
- It cleanses your blood. At the same time it is purifying your liver, it also gets to work on cleaning your blood. This includes eliminating lipids and other elements that are toxic to your health.
- And, finally, it protects you from free radicals. Since it’s rich in antioxidants, it’s great for reducing the negative effects of free radicals. After all, these cause a lot of problems and illnesses. Lemon protects cells from free radical attacks.
The 3 superfoods: onions, garlic, and lemons
These three superfoods have such amazing properties individually, but when we put them together, they become an incredibly powerful natural remedy.
They have such a concentration of minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients that they are simply unbeatable. They are our best defense if we want to stay perfectly healthy.
One great option is to make a syrup out of the three superfoods. This home remedy prevents and fights against the normal winter illnesses (colds and the flu). It can also be used to improve your blood health, reduce both pain and inflammation, and eliminate toxins from your body.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion (preferably a red onion)
- 1 slice of ginger root (about an inch)
- 3 lemons
- 1/2 a cup of pure honey
- Firstly, peel the garlic clove, then chop it and grind it in a pestle and mortar until you get a thick paste.
- After that, peel the onion and grate it onto the garlic.
- Then grate the ginger, and add.
- Finally, juice the lemons and add the juice and honey to the mixture.
- When you’ve finished, cover it and let it sit all night (about 8 hours).
- After 8 hours, strain it into a glass container with a lid.
- You can keep the syrup in the refrigerator for a month.
How to take it:
To get the results you want, you need to take a tablespoon once a day (for prevention). Or, to treat a viral infection, take a tablespoon with each of your main meals (3 times per day).