5 Natural Ways to Elevate Platelet Count
Thrombocytopenia, a disease, occurs when your blood platelet level is extremely low so it’s important to elevate it. It’s a condition that could have bad consequences. Luckily, some natural remedies can elevate platelet count.
More than natural remedies, these are recipes rich in various nutrients that can supplement the diet and thus, help the body recover. They have two great added advantages: they’re as easy to prepare as they’re tasty.
Natural remedies to raise your platelet count
Platelets are also known as “thrombocytes,” and originate in the bone marrow. Their main function is to stop bleeding by facilitating the clotting process and to plug damaged blood vessels. They’re the smallest cells in the bloodstream, and have a half-life of between seven and 12 days.
A person might have thrombocytopenia when the body can’t produce enough platelets, or loses or destroys them.
Adequate levels of platelets in the body vary between 150,000 and 400,000 cells per microliter. In this respect, a person has thrombocytopenia when the number of platelets is lower than the amount mentioned above.
In addition to the treatment prescribed by the physician, diet plays a fundamental role in the recovery process. Therefore, it’s essential to pay attention to it and adopt a well-balanced diet. In these cases, it’s best to eat fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and nuts rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, and minerals.
To help you with this, we’ll reveal some tasty natural remedies that can raise your platelet count.
1. Garlic soup
Garlic has sulfur components that, according to popular beliefs, could contribute to platelet aggregation, thus preventing the formation of clots. As you can imagine, this vegetable can help raise platelet count. However, a recent study published in the Drugs and Lactation Database stated that garlic may increase the likelihood of bleeding.
- 6 eggs
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. of parsley (5 g)
- 1 tsp. of paprika (4 g)
- Ham (50 g.)
- 150 g. of old or toasted bread
- 6 c. of natural broth (1200 ml.), made by dissolving a cube of vegetable bouillon in water
- Firstly, take a pan and fry the slices of bread (cut very thinly) in plenty of oil until golden brown
- When they’re ready, set them aside and free the pan of excess oil, leaving enough to fry the garlic
- Fry all the garlic and the chopped onion
- Then, remove them from the heat and add the paprika, stirring constantly
- When the ingredients are well fried, add the ham
- Add the broth and remove the garlic and place the pot back on the heat
- Add the bread and soak it well in the mixture
- Then, add the parsley, salt, and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- Take some ceramic pots, clay or any material that can withstand the temperature of the oven
- Finally, pour some soup in each one, break an egg on top and put them in the preheated oven until the whites set
Read about The Health Benefits of Black Garlic
2. Broccoli salad
According to experts from the Fundacion Española de Nutricion, broccoli is a source of protein, potassium, vitamin C, folates, and sulfur compounds.
Broccoli, cabbage, kale, chard, and spinach contain vitamin K, an essential nutrient in the recovery process, as platelets need it for the clotting process. Take advantage of the fact that, besides being one of the natural remedies to raise platelets, it’s a food that can be enjoyed in many ways and combined with all kinds of ingredients.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp. of sesame (15 g)
- 1 tbsp. of yogurt (12.5 g)
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar (20 g)
- 4 c. of raw broccoli heads
- 1 c. sunflower seeds (200 g)
- A few pieces of almonds or walnuts
- 1 c. steamed carrots, al dente (115 g)
- Firstly, wash the broccoli and cut it into small pieces
- Then, spread the chopped vegetable in a deep dish and add the carrot, allowing both ingredients to mix
- Next, blend the yogurt with the sugar and lemon
- Then, take the dressing and add it to the salad
- Garnish with some sesame seeds
- Finally, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and add the chopped almonds or walnuts
Check out this Easy to Make Homemade Yogurt
3. Tri-flavored juice
You can drink this tri-flavored juice at breakfast, preferably before eating your first meal. This is because in addition to raising platelets, it will provide you with a good dose of vitamins and minerals.
This juice contains beets, carrots and oranges, three ingredients with a high content of vitamins and minerals that help the body to function properly. In addition, they help strengthen the immune system and control any infection that alters the platelet count.
- ½ cucumber (20 g.)
- 1 orange (15 g.)
- A carrot (20 g.)
- 1 stick of celery
- ½ beet (40 g.)
- 1 glass of water (250 ml.)
- Firstly, wash all ingredients
- Then, slice them into medium pieces so they will fit in the blender
- Finally, add the cup of water and blend everything until you have a homogeneous beverage.
4. Lentils and vegetables
Studies revealed that lentils are high in polyphenols, iron, fiber, and potassium, and thus, a good source of nutrients. For this reason, they’re part of our recommendations for natural remedies to elevate your platelet count.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot (15 g.)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 3 c. of water (750 ml.)
- ½ red and ½ green bell pepper
- 2 c. of lentils (200 g.)
- 1 small onion (20-30 g.).
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (10 ml.)
- 1 spoonful of sweet paprika (4 g.)
- Firstly, wash the lentils and place them into a saucepan with the water, bay leaf, paprika, and a pinch of salt
- Let these ingredients cook over low heat
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and garlic and pan fry them with some olive oil until they’re golden brown
- Then, remove them from the oil and add them to the lentil mixture
- In the same pan, saute the bell peppers in oil
- Add a little salt
- Next, add the peeled and chopped carrot for a few more minutes and when the vegetables are cooked to your liking, remove them from heat
- The lentils should be tender after about 45 minutes, at which time you should remove them from heat and let them cool before serving
5. Guava and red bell pepper smoothie to elevate platelet count
Guava is a fruit rich in vitamins A, B, C and D, as well as folic acid. In this sense, it is capable of favoring platelet regeneration and preventing tissue oxidation. The red bell pepper contains folic acid, iron, potassium and vitamin C, which favors the cellular synthesis of the bone marrow.
- 2 guavas
- 1 bell bell pepper or red chili bell pepper
- 1/2 spoonful of sugar
- 2 glasses of water (500 ml.)
- Firstly, rinse the guavas and red bell pepper with plenty of water
- Then, open and remove the seeds from the red bell pepper and rinse it inside
- Chop the guavas and the bell bell pepper into small pieces
- Then, add everything to the blender and add the water and the sugar
- Blend it for a couple of minutes and strain
- Finally, drink it two or three times a day
Are there other natural remedies to elevate platelet count?
Yes, there are other preparations that can be considered natural remedies and that can help raise your platelet count and make you feel better. However, keep in mind that the most important thing is to follow any treatment prescribed by your doctor while maintaining a well-balanced wholesome diet.
Consult a nutritionist if you have any doubts about how to follow a diet that’s suitable to your needs to elevate your platelet count.