Melons Are Great for Weight Loss and to Sleep Better
If you’d like to lose weight and get a good night’s sleep, incorporating melons to your diet is a great idea – they’re a delicious and refreshing fruit. While most of the time you can eat it during the summer, you can also enjoy it on cold days and still get all its benefits. Find out why melons are great for weight loss and to sleep better in the following article.
Want to know more about melons?
Melons are a great fruit, not just because of their size. They belong to the class of “giant vegetables,” along with watermelon, squash, and zucchini. They grow well in irrigated, sandy soils and they’re an excellent summer fruit. There are many benefits of eating melon, and plenty of varieties are available in supermarkets. The two most popular ones are the European and American melons.
They can weigh about two pounds, and are usually yellowish and rounded. The color of the pulp is the same as its skin color, and it’s soft but juicy. There’s a hollow cavity in the center, in which the seeds are arranged in lines throughout the edges.
Properties of melons
- They’re low in calories. 100 grams of melon contain 34 calories. They’re also low in fat, but rich in nutrients like vitamins and minerals.
- They contain high levels of vitamin A, one of the highest vitamin content in any fruit. This is a powerful antioxidant that’s good for the skin and mucus membranes.
- They contain flavonoids that protect cells from the effects of free radicals, helping to reduce the risk for pancreatic, breast, and colon cancers.
- Melons are great to improve our vision and they help prevent macular degeneration, which occurs over the passage of the years.
- Melons are great to control the heart rate and blood pressure because they contain potassium, which also helps prevent heart disease.
- They help the body fight off diseases caused by infections, viruses, and bacteria, thanks to their vitamin C and manganese content.
Why melons are great for weight loss
Thanks to their great purifying qualities, melons can help us lose weight and remove accumulated toxins from the body. This fruit’s properties provide many benefits, particularly by helping to detoxify your body and working as a diuretic.
Once you follow this diet, your body will function better without accumulated additives, preservatives, and other harmful ingredients contained in our food. In addition, melons help you feel full thanks to the fact that they’re 90% water. When you eat this fruit, you eat less overall. And in turn, you stay hydrated, preventing the fluid retention and eliminating toxins through urine.
Types of cleansing diets that incorporate melon
You should only do this for one day, in which you eat only raw melon – as much as you want. And if you’re thirsty (which is unlikely, but it can happen), only drink water.
As part of a low-calorie diet
Over the course of the day you’ll eat an entire melon along with other fruits and vegetables, especially raw ones, and without condiments like salt or sugar. You can do this for a maximum of five days straight and then take a break.
A delicious weight loss melon smoothie can be made in minutes, and you’ll definitely see results. You can enjoy it at any time during the day. It’s recommended to drink it while fasting, but it can also be a perfect afternoon snack before dinner to help you eat less. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s packed with vitamins and proteins.
- Two cups of diced melon pulp
- One green apple, chopped
- One kiwi, peeled and chopped
- A tablespoon of lemon juice
- A cup of ice or half a cup of water
- A little bit of honey or stevia to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend well until creamy and smooth. This smoothie has less than 150 calories and you’ll really feel like your stomach is full.
Melons are great for sleeping better
Due to its high nutritional content, the melon smoothie we showed you earlier can also help you sleep better. It’s perfect for people with sleep disorders like insomnia. This healthy fruit helps eliminate thirst, which is one reason that many people get up in the night. And because it makes you feel full, your stomach is satisfied until the morning, without bothering you for a midnight snack.
You may also like:
Some people think it’s a bad idea to eat melon at night because it can cause indigestion; however, there isn’t any evidence to support this claim. Remember it’s mostly made up of water, so there are few components that can cause stomach problems. But one thing that could happen is experiencing a thermal ‘shock’ during the absorption process, if you eat very cold melon right out of the refrigerator on a very hot day. If the fruit isn’t fully ripe or overly ripe, this can cause stomach problems as well.
However, as long as you eat the right amount of melon a day, it shouldn’t interfere with sleep. If you have a delicate stomach, just avoid eating melon right after dinner or shortly before bedtime.