How to Make Bilbao Macaroons
This is a recipe that draws a lot of attention because, despite what you may think, these aren’t the typical macaroons we all know and love. In fact, Bilbao macaroons are a very famous dessert in Spain. Discover and learn how to make them in this article!
Bilbao macaroons are sweet desserts that are mainly consumed on Saint Blaise Day. They’re usually eaten with marshmallow candy.
On that date, neck cords are also blessed in the church of Bilbao, where the figure of the saint is located. Legend has it that if you eat these macaroons for 9 nine days straight while wearing the blessed Saint Blaise cord, the saint will protect your throat all winter.
This is a dessert made with egg whites, ground almonds, cinnamon, and powdered sugar. However, these aren’t the typical French or Italian macaroons. They’re actually totally different!
But don’t worry, we’re also going to show you the original French macaroons recipe so you know how to make both and discover which one you like best.
So read on to learn how to make these amazing desserts!
Bilbao Macaroons Recipe
You don’t necessarily have to be from Spain to make or like this dessert. This is the perfect dessert to eat after any lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup of chopped almonds (150 g)
- 4 tablespoons of sugar (60 g)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar (120 g)
- 3 egg whites
- ½ tablespoon of ground cinnamon (8 g)
- ½ tablespoon of lemon juice (8 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of butter (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon of wheat flour (15 g)
- Take a medium bowl and mix the ground almonds with the powdered sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Then, slowly add the egg whites and lemon juice. Mix everything with a hand mixer. Make sure that the mixture has a sticky but compact consistency.
- After that, take a baking sheet and spread some butter and flour on it so your Bilbao macaroons don’t stick.
- Once you get the desired texture, make some balls with the dough.
- Then, sprinkle the sugar on a plate and pass each macaroon through. Make sure they’re not too big so they all fit in the baking sheet.
- Before putting the sheet in the oven, squeeze the balls just a little bit. Don’t worry because they’ll rise as they bake.
- Bake the macaroons for 10 minutes at 180 to 190 ºC until they rise and turn golden.
- Finally, take them out of the oven and let cool. Serve with some coffee or afternoon tea.
Discover: Oatmeal, Linseed and Sesame Cookies for Those Diet Cravings
French Macaroons Recipe
French macaroons are colored cookies made from egg whites, powdered sugar, and ground almonds. They’re easily confused with Bilbao macaroons because they require basically the same ingredients, but the difference is that these macaroons do have filling.
Ingredients for French Macaroons
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups of powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 ½ cup of ground almonds (225 g)
- 1 pinch of salt (5 g)
- 2 drops of food coloring
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 cups of powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 cup of butter (200 g)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of whipped cream (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder (15 g)
Try out this recipe: Learn How to Prepare Decorative Icing for Cakes
How to make the Macaroons
- To begin, beat the egg whites, salt, and powdered sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Then, add the ground almonds and food coloring (of any color you want). Place the mixture in a pastry bag.
- Next, cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and make the macaroons with the help of the pastry bag. Leave enough space between them so they don’t stick together when they’re baking.
- Finally, put them in the oven at 390°F for 10 minutes. After that time, take them out of the oven and let them cool while you make the filling.
How to Make the Filling
- First, beat the butter until it turns creamy and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and whipped cream.
- Then, incorporate the lemon zest and cocoa powder.
- Finally, fill the macaroons as if they were sandwiches and serve.
Try out these two amazing dessert recipes today!It might interest you...