Love at middle age might seem at first glance just the same as any other. But for those who experience it, it can be the culmination of their lives to find themselves with another person who fits both their mind and heart.
The oddest thing about love during more mature ages is that it comes about unexpectedly. It’s not uncommon for people to have gone through several emotional failures or even reached the point of closing off their heart to avoid future suffering.
But as it happens often times, when you’re not expecting something suddenly it arrives, and while you’re in the middle of a seemingly unimportant conversation worlds subtly begin to collide, opening up a whole new universe.
Today we invite you to delve a little deeper into this subject of mature love.
Lovers at middle age: the calmest, the wisest
Let’s start by clarifying one very important thing: when you reach middle age you’ve experienced a number of decades in your life.
Nevertheless, maturity of the soul, mind, and heart doesn’t come with the years you live – it’s gained from the wisdom and values you’ve obtained over time.
That’s why some people reach the age of 50 with the irresponsibility and immaturity of a teenager. Others, however, arrive at middle age with an inner balance achieved by learning from all of their experiences, where the future looks bright and filled with optimism, serenity, and the eagerness to continue experiencing the world.
Find out more below.
Two souls who connect, each with their own baggage
We have all lived, we’ve all felt, we’ve all loved, and we’ve all lost. That’s why when starting a new relationship it doesn’t make sense to forget everything that’s in the past or erase all our old loves just to focus on the present.
- The mind doesn’t forget, it transforms and builds new memories.
- That’s why love at middle age can become a wise and fulfilling relationship in which a couple accepts everything from the past because it has helped them understand what they want from the present, as well as what they are unwilling to withstand.
- They are two people whose triumphs and pain will meet, and in turn they will understand that being a good partner doesn’t mean they need to be identical, but rather respect each other’s differences.
- Love at middle age will have its baggage, but far from hiding it the couple can discuss it with the trust that comes from two people who understand and respect the other’s past.
We recommend you read “What women value in a relationship”
The maturity of enjoying the present to the fullest
You might not have the youthfulness you had when you were 20, but you don’t want that, either. Couples who have found happiness at middle age know and understand that they are in the best time of their life, not longing for the past nor fearing for the future.
- There’s no better way to enjoy this time than through a love that excites you, ties you to the earth around you and yourself. It’s like finding what you had always dreamed of, so you can live in the “here and now,” strengthening who you are and your self-esteem.
Love on your own terms
When you reach middle age, you have gone through a lot of phases in life: you may have married or not, you may have had children or not, you may have divorced or not.
Now, after all those experiences, you know very clearly what it is that you want.
This can give you a great sense of peace because once the years go by and everyone “becomes a real person,” it provides an added value that you can bring to a relationship. If you choose to find that at middle age you’re living in a different way.
See also “4 common relationship mistakes“
Eternal youth also resides in the ability to love
Being young at heart is a virtue you must strive for every day, and it starts, no doubt, by loving yourself.
- If you take the steps toward deciding to start a new relationship at middle age, the youthfulness inside you will fill you with enthusiasm, passion, desire, and emotion.
- Love has no age, no race, no color. Few things are as universal as the hearts of those who light up side by side to follow a common path.
While it’s true that over the years, most people come to be characterized by intelligence and reflection, everyone can switch on that ageless passion known as love.
That wonderful place that you find when you least expect it, but it’s worth fighting for every day.