Learn How to Make Delicious Lentils with Vegetables
Lentils with vegetables is a very simple, delicious, and nutritious dish that you should definitely incorporate into your diet. It’s a recipe with many positive health benefits thanks to the properties of the legumes it contains.
One of the top properties of legumes, especially lentils, is that they’re one of the largest sources of antioxidants and trace elements. Not to mention the amino acids, proteins, and minerals they contain… and the fat and cholesterol they don’t.
This lentils with vegetables recipe is energetic and of very high-quality. It’s very simple and inexpensive to make. The complimentary ingredients it contains, including carrots, onions, potatoes, garlic, and paprika, should be included in any diet!
Plus, you can add other vegetables that you consider necessary as well. Obviously, everything is up to the cook, who in this case, is you!
The best option to accompany this meal is white rice and, if you like, a natural drink. If you want to assimilate the nutrients well, it’s best not to combine this dish with precooked products.
On the other hand, if you have a mineral or folic acid deficiency, are pregnant, or are looking for a remarkable source of iron, this lentils with vegetables recipe is perfect for you! And no, we’re not exaggerating. Lentils contain a lot of iron.
Learn How to Make this Delicious Lentils with Vegetables Recipe
Discover why adding lentils to your diet is fantastic
One of the many perks of adding lentils to your diet is that they contain a lot of fiber. So if you’re on a special diet to lose weight or keep your same weight, this food is ideal for you.
In addition, lentils also contain vitamins B2, B3, B6, and B9. It’s also important to know that although you’ll probably feel somewhat heavy after eating them, they’re easily digested.
You should always try to include foods in your diet that can help boost your energy and aid your body’s processes. Now that you know how good this food is for you, it may be time to include it in your diet a little bit more!
Lentils with Vegetables Recipe
- 4 cups of green lentils (480 g)
- 2 leeks
- 2 onions
- 3 small carrots
- 1 large potato
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of ground green pepper (15 g)
- 3 cups of water (750 ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of salt (15 g)
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
Did you know? 5 Legumes To Help You Lose Fat
- The first thing to do is thoroughly wash all the vegetables. Especially wash the potatoes, because they’re a tuber and generally have a lot of dirt.
- To make this recipe, you have to chop the carrots, onions, garlic, and bay leaf into fine pieces. You can cut the rest of the vegetables into slightly larger pieces.
- Then, put all the ingredients in a large pot and pour the cups of water. If you want something more broth-based, you can add more water.
- Let it cook until it boils. Stir constantly to make sure that the vegetables soften and nothing sticks.
- Finally, let cook a little more, for about 20 or 30 minutes, and keep stirring
- Turn off the heat when the lentils and vegetables have softened.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Ganesan K, Xu B. Polyphenol-Rich Lentils and Their Health Promoting Effects. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(11):2390. Published 2017 Nov 10. doi:10.3390/ijms18112390
- Faris, M. A. I. E., Takruri, H. R., & Issa, A. Y. (2013, April). Role of lentils (Lens culinaris L.) in human health and nutrition: A review. Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12349-012-0109-8