Flourless Cake Recipe, Dairy and Sugar Free
Everyday we find more and more people who are careful with what they eat and who want to get rid of foods that do not agree with them, such as gluten or lactose containing foods. Other foods such as white sugar should be completely removed from our diets, since they are like poison to our health.
In this article, we will provide a delicious cake recipe that contains no flour, sugar or dairy. It’s also very easily to make and calls for some surprising ingredients that you’ll love!
Today our diet is based mainly on flour. At every meal during the day we find a dish that contains it: bread, pasta, pastries, pizza, pancakes, biscuits, cookies, etc.
Therefore, not only must people with celiac disease avoid flour because it contains gluten, but all of us should have other equally good alternatives to occasionally replace flour. In this case we can substitute chickpeas for flour, which might surprise you.
Chickpea flour is well known in some cultures, and in this case we will use cooked chickpeas, which provide great nutritional value and protein to our recipe. This is a delicious way to eat chickpeas!
In addition to people who are lactose intolerant, many others want to avoid dairy products because of their cholesterol content or because they generate mucus, skin problems, allergies, etc.
This recipe does not require milk, yogurt or butter, and for this reason it is an easily digestible and healthy cake.
White sugar is completely unnecessary in our diet. Numerous studies have shown that it is a poison that demineralizes and acidifies our body and because we consume it in abundance throughout the day, our health deteriorates.
In this cake recipe we will replace white sugar with stevia sweetener, but we could also use honey or agave syrup since both are healthy alternatives.
A Cake Rich in Protein
Most cakes usually contain a lot of flour, sugar or cream, and yet, this cake is rich in proteins, thanks to the chickpeas and eggs that it contains, making it very nutritious but without contributing to our weight gain. On the contrary: it will be an excellent food to eat as breakfast or as a snack, or it even allows us to have a satisfying low-fat dessert.
It will also be ideal for children and athletes. And best of all, no one will notice that it is made with chickpeas.
- 500 grams (18 ounces) of cooked chickpeas (you can use the kind sold in cans and already cooked or cook them yourself without salt).
- 2 cups of dark chocolate to be melted, without sugar or milk, or the proportional amount of pure cocoa powder.
- 4 eggs.
- 2 heaping tablespoons of liquid stevia (without taste and of transparent color) or 100 grams (3-1/2 ounces) of honey or agave syrup.
- A half a teaspoon of baking powder.
- 2 handfuls of peeled and chopped nuts.
- Optional: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, essence of vanilla.
The preparation is extremely easy and very fast. You should follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F).
- In case you are using chocolate to be melted, you will need to do that using a double boiler.
- Beat the eggs, then add the chickpeas. You should beat everything well until it is a fine texture. If you have a blender or food processor it will be much faster.
- Add the sweetener that you have chosen and the baking powder.
- Finally add the melted chocolate or cocoa and the chopped nuts.
- If you like you can add some spice to hide even more the flavor of the chickpeas, which will disappear thanks to the chocolate, or to give a personal touch for a different taste every time you prepare it add a little: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, essence of vanilla, orange zest, etc.
- Prepare the cake pan. Lightly coat the pan with oil and flour to avoid sticking.
- Place it in the oven and leave it for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C (356 degrees F). Afterward remove it from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Images courtesy of Xavi Talleda, Uwe Hermann and Olya Sanakoev