Reasons to Eliminate Sugar from Your Diet for Good
Sugar has been a commodity for centuries and has been cultivated in India since ancient times. It was known to the Greeks and Romans as Indian honey.
What’s more, extracting and refining sugar cane was not unknown to the Chinese, either, who have been processing sugar cane since antiquity.
Did you know that all carbohydrates that easily dissolve in water can be called sugars? They’re colorless, odorless, normally crystallized and all have a sweet taste.
Sugar is a highly addictive substance, like a drug, and wreaks havoc on our bodies. After consuming sugar, the immune system is weakened and more susceptible to germs and viruses for six hours.
Moreover, sugar reduces our desire to eat nutritious foods like vegetables which leads to nutritional deficiencies. Here are some tips to help you eliminate sugar from your diet for good.
Too much sugar?
Excess consumption of sugar is the main cause of the majority of illnesses that develop in our bodies; the sugar we consume daily is artificial and therefore doesn’t contain the vitamins and minerals that our bodies need.
Sugar brings nothing to the table nutritionally. On the contrary, it robs the body of minerals and vitamins. This wreaks havoc on the body’s metabolic processes. Excess sugar has many consequences on our health (one of the most well known being diabetes).
Reasons to eliminate sugar from your diet
- Sugar can be addictive, as addictive as cocaine according to Dr. Robert Lustwig (endocrinologist). Dr. Mehmet Oz writes that when you eat sugar, it stimulates the release of dopamine, the neurotransmitter responsible for feeling pleasure.
- Heavy sugar consumption increases the risk for cancer, as obesity and increased insulin levels cause the reproduction of cancer cells.
- Consuming sugar is harmful to your heart. When you’re on a diet, you might think everything you’re eating is healthy, but sweet foods may be harmful. Some studies suggest that diets high in sugar or foods with a high glycemic load are associated with a higher risk of developing heart disease. Excess sugar is the cause of increased triglycerides in the blood, since these are the types of fat that the body creates to store excess calories from sugar.
- Sugar can be harmful to the liver, the largest and one of the most complex organs in the body. When you eat sugary foods or drinks, blood sugar levels rise and the body secretes insulin. The liver responds to the insulin by turning the sugar in the blood into glycogen. Finally, the liver processes all the stored glycogen into fat.
- Sugar can harm your brain. Some preliminary studies indicate that high blood sugar levels are linked to atrophy in the areas of the brain responsible for memory.
- Excess sugar consumption can cause acne. The link between diet and acne is controversial, but studies have shown that a link exists between diets with high glycemic levels and acne. These diets are generally high in sugars, which trigger the release of hormones that cause a number of oily secretions, making acne worse.
- When we consume a lot of sugar, the bacteria in the mouth thrive and this increases the risk for dental cavities.
You have a list of reasons why you should eliminate sugar from your diet. Avoiding sugar will preserve your health and help you avoid illness caused by this addictive substance.
Above all, remember to take a closer look at the foods and drinks you consume and examine what quantity is healthy for you.