When the sciatic nerve becomes inflamed, pain occurs in the buttocks that goes down the back of the thigh and many times this pain may extend along the entire leg down to the ankle.
To treat sciatica problems you can use some anti-rheumatic and analgesic herbs, taken as infusions or teas or they can also be applied as a compress or poultice.
Symptoms that indicate inflammation of the sciatic nerve
- There is sharp pain that goes from the buttocks down the back of the leg, often reaching near to the ankle.
- It is difficult to perform some simple movements, such as turning over in bed.
- When you have to spend a lot of time on your feet, the pain keeps increasing until it becomes unbearable.
- When the inflammation is very severe you cannot find relief or improvement in any position.
- The person who experiences this kind of inflammation feels very incapacitated due to the pain and discomfort.
Infusions that help fight sciatica
This is a highly recommended herb for the treatment of sciatica, because it has tremendous anti-inflammatory properties. It should be infused to make a tea using a few sprigs in a pint of water and drink it three to four times a day.
- Wild Pansy
- Elderberry flowers
How to make it
You should use ten grams of each of these dried plants. Then crush them and mix them together well. Then boil a cup of water and add a tablespoon of these herbs. Cover and let stand for five minutes and then drink it. Drink two cups a day.
Carrot juice and parsley
This is a juice that is quite effective in treating this problem. This is made by blending carrots with some sprigs of parsley into a smoothie and then drinking one glass a day. It does not matter what time of the day you choose to drink it.
It is also recommended to take on an empty stomach a clove of garlic with a glass of pineapple juice, without adding sweeteners.
Supplements for treating sciatica
This is a bioflavonoid that is usually found in fruits and vegetables, it can be found in greater amounts in onions and apples. It is a rich antioxidant that has the ability to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals.
This is an enzyme that can be found mainly in pineapple, said enzyme has the ability to reduce inflammation caused by sciatica.
This is a food that contains large amounts of minerals and vitamins, with the ability to nourish the nervous system and cleanse the body by eliminating fats and toxins.
Compresses and poultices to fight sciatica
- Apply a compress of green clay on the affected area to help reduce inflammation and to relieve pain. It should be applied with a gentle massage.
- Make a poultice by adding a tablespoon of olive oil to ground ginger root. Apply as a compress with a gentle massage. It can be repeated several times a day.