How to Use Crushed Garlic to Heal an Ingrown Toenail
Did you know that you can use crushed garlic to alleviate an ingrown toenail?
In this article, we will share a very effective remedy that soothes, disinfects and reduces inflammation in what is a very common problem for many people.
Toenails become ingrown or grow inward when one side of the nail bends and begins to “burrow” into the flesh of the toe. This is one of main reasons for visits to podiatry centers.
More than a mere question of aesthetics, the profound pain an ingrown toenail causes is the main motivation for visiting the podiatrist.
Why do toenails become ingrown?
The most common cause of ingrown toenails is not knowing how to cut them correctly.
Your toenails should be cut in a square shape. Therefore, you should never round the edges of the nail when cutting them, as this causes them to grow inward and become ingrown.
Another reason is wearing very tight shoes that do not fit our feet.
Also, people with osteoarthritis often have excessive skin growth have a higher risk of suffering from this condition.
Any type of toe deformity can be a risk that we must keep an eye on and have monitored by a professional.
Types of ingrown toenails
There are two types of ingrown toenails, and we must take this into account when cutting and fixing them. It should be noted that both kinds cause inflammation, pain, infections and tearing of the toe’s skin:
- When the corner or edge of a nail penetrates the side of the toe.
- When the nail bends into the top of the toe.
It’s very common that this condition reoccurs frequently in the same patient. For this reason, it’s best that, in addition to treating it with natural remedies, you see a podiatrist to follow up on the case in order to prevent its reappearance.
Is garlic a good remedy?
Garlic is a superfood with many healing properties, both internally and externally. In addition to seasoning and enhancing the flavor of the food that we prepare, garlic acts as a powerful antibiotic and antioxidant.
Some of the properties of garlic are the following. It:
- Is used as a fungicide, antiviral and antibiotic.
- Is an important nutrient for the skin.
- Strengthens your immune system.
- Improves circulation and prevents cardiovascular diseases.
- Helps you recover faster after colds and the flu.
- Acts to purify the body of heavy metals.
- Is one of the best antioxidants that exists.
How do we treat ingrown nails?
First step: Water with salt
To begin with, the first course of action is to mitigate the pain.
For this reason, you should heat up salt water and submerge your foot for a few minutes. In doing this, you will get the nail to soften and have easier access to the nail. That way, you can cut it with a small pair of scissors.
However, for cases in which the ingrown nail is very deep, we recommend that you go to a specialist. For some cases in which the nail has penetrated very deeply, surgery may even be required, since removal without anesthesia would be too painful.
Give this problem the importance it deserves and don’t just ignore it.
A crushed garlic remedy
One of the most used ancient remedies for alleviating the pain from an ingrown toenail is crushed garlic. This is because garlic has very effective natural antiseptic properties, while, at the same time, it decreases pain and inflammation.
- A clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel (20 g)
- 1 bandage
- Mash the garlic until it is completely crushed.
- You can use it directly or mix it with aloe vera gel to make it easier to apply.
- You can also cut the garlic in half and apply it to your skin.
- Apply the garlic or garlic paste to the ingrown toenail and bandage the toe or foot, so that the position is more comfortable.
- Leave the garlic on for at least 30 minutes and repeat every 8 hours. You can also apply it before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
- If you have sensitive skin, we recommend putting aloe vera gel around the nail before applying the remedy. This way, you will prevent the garlic from irritating your skin.
- Repeat for several days until you notice an improvement.