How to Soothe Burns Naturally
Burns are classified depending on their level of severity. In some cases, medical attention is required to treat damaged tissues. However, when the burn is not serious, the pain of a burn can be relieved with some home remedies.
Listed below are several different home remedies that will alleviate the pain of a burn.
How to Alleviate Pain Caused by Burns
Although superficial burns take some time to heal when using home remedies, they’re an effective way to relieve any pain caused by the burn and also help prevent scars.
These remedies can also be used to relieve sunburns.
1. Natural Honey
Nowadays, honey is oftentimes praised for its many benefits. After all, it can help control blood sugar levels and even improve digestion.
However, did you know that honey can be used as an ointment to disinfect burns?
It has been proven that this delicious sweetener contains moisturizing properties that help the skin retain its natural oils.
In addition, it works as a powerful antioxidant that helps cell regeneration and prevents scars.
- All you have to do is pour some honey on a gauze or bandage and apply it to the affected area and let set for at least three hours.
- Then, remove the bandage and repeat the process until your skin heals.
Also read: Discover a First Aid for Hot Water Burns
2. Onion Juice
Some vegetables, such as onions, have antibiotic and healing properties.
Onion juice contains sulfur compounds and antioxidants that reduce burning and redness. Its best function is that it reduces the likelihood of painful blisters that tend to appear immediately after a burn. It also protects against bacteria that can cause infections.
- To use onion juice, cut an onion in half and pass it through a blender.
- Then, apply the juice on the affected area with a clean cloth.
3. Lavender Oil
Essential oils have been used to cure and treat all kinds of conditions for a long time.
Lavender has analgesic and antibacterial properties that protect skin. It’s one of the most effective natural remedies used for relieving burn pains, repairing the skin tissue quickly, and minimizing the likelihood of scars.
- To use lavender oil on a burn, first, apply the oil to the burn using your hands (wash your hands first) or a clean cloth.
- Use it at least twice a day until the burn completely heals.
Also recommended: How to Use Baking Soda for Burns
Tomatoes are widely used in cooking due to its high level of nutrients. Moreover, tomato pulp can be used as a natural remedy to relieve burns.
It is rich in antioxidants and helps to quickly regenerate the skin to avoid any scarring or noticeable spots left by the burn. Likewise, it will decrease the pain caused by the burn and reduce blistering.
- First, cut a few slices of tomato and apply them to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash the area with plenty of water.
5. Black Tea
This remedy is perfect for burns because the tannic acid of the tea extracts the heat of burns. This will reduce any pain and irritation caused by the burn.
- You only need to wet two or three bags of tea in a cup of cold water.
- Then, apply them to the burn and let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- You can also affix the bags to the burn using gauze.