How to Make Eco-Friendly Detergent from Borax and Baking Soda
Put borax and baking soda together and you've got an eco-friendly detergent that works in the washing machine as well as elsewhere around the house. Plus, it won't harm your health.
Now that people are more aware of the need to take care of the environment, they’re sharing homemade cleaning products to replace damaging chemical products. This eco-friendly detergent with borax and baking soda is a great way to make your clothes spotless.
The ingredients have astringent and whitening properties that are ideal for removing dirt and stains. In addition, they’re gentle on your clothes and help keep your colors bright for longer.
In fact, they can help lift stains more easily and neutralize mold and sweat odors.
Have you tried it yet?
If not, read on because below we’ll tell you why it works and how to make it at home in just a few simple steps.
Eco-friendly detergent with borax with baking soda
Both borax and baking soda have been used for a very long time as cleaning products in the home. Actually, a lot of products today contain them or similar ingredients as active agents.
However, some people want to use them in their most natural state to protect the environment and their skin, as well. After all, they’re also budget friendly and multipurpose.
Now, why exactly are they so effective?
Benefits of borax for cleaning
Borax, which is short for sodium borate, is a natural mineral that’s used to make cleaning products. Unlike other chemicals, it’s not harmful to the environment, and it’s versatile.
It comes from repeated evaporation of saltwater lakes that are common in America, Romania, and Turkey. While it’s not toxic in small amounts, we recommend wearing gloves and being careful when handling it.
In general, borax helps to:
- Remove dirt and stains from clothing,
- Remove soap scum and stains from the toilet and tub,
- Neutralize bad odors,
- Remove rust and mold stains,
- Clean the floor and kitchen.
The benefits of baking soda for cleaning
Baking soda is a powerful eco-friendly cleaning product used by many around the house. Because of its remarkable whitening and disinfecting qualities, it leaves surfaces impeccable. In an eco-friendly detergent, it helps protect clothing of all types of fabric. It doesn’t just lift stains, but also brightens colors and helps remove bad odors.
In short, baking soda:
- Removes sweat stains from clothing,
- Reverses yellowing on white clothing,
- Eliminates mold in the washing machine,
- Softens fabrics,
- Cleans the kitchen and floors,
- Polishes metallic items,
- Removes stains from rugs and carpets,
- Neutralizes unpleasant odors.
You may also be interested in this article: Make Eco-friendly Glass Cleaner with 5 Home Recipes
How can I make my own eco-friendly detergent?
To make this eco-friendly detergent from borax and baking soda, you’re going to use a few other ingredients: plain, gentle soap and essential oils. Two great essential oil choices are lemon and lavender, will make your detergent smell nicer.
- 2 bars of neutral soap (500 g)
- 1 cup of borax (200 g)
- 2 cups of baking soda (400 g)
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Water (as needed)
- Cheese grater
- Medium-sized pot
- Protected gloves
- Wooden spoon
- Empty bottles of liquid soap
- Grate the bars of soap.
- Then, transfer the grated soap to a pot. Add water and boil on low heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Put on protective gloves, take another pot, and add the borax and baking soda to it.
- Next, add the melted soap and water mixture. Stir well.
- Once everything has dissolved, pour into a bucket and add about 7 liters of water.
- Keep stirring, and then add the essential oil.
- Once smooth, pour into the empty bottles for storage.
- If you like, make a label to remind yourself what’s inside.
Recommended reading: How to Make an Environmentally-friendly Air Freshener from Gelatin
How to use
- Shake before use.
- Add to your washing machine’s detergent compartment like you would regular laundry detergent.
- Feel free to use it to clean around the house, too: you can use it on the floor, the kitchen, the bathroom, etc.
Overall, it’s easy to make your own eco-friendly detergent, and there are a lot of reasons to do so. Even if it seems simpler to buy something from the store, this option is more environmentally friendly and won’t harm your health.