2 Great Cough Remedies with Honey and Onions
Coughing is one of the body’s defense mechanisms which is produced by an abrupt, explosive emptying of the air from the lungs. The purpose is to expel foreign or damaging substances which are in the respiratory airways.
Are there really any cough remedies that actually work? In today’s article we’re going to show you a very effective way of combating those annoying coughs.
A cough can be either be dry or productive. When a cough is productive it is accompanied by mucus, also called phlegm or sputum. On the other hand, a dry cough is not the result of expectoration but a possible irritation or infection that, if not treated early on, can turn into something chronic.
Regardless of the type of cough that a person may have, most people resort to syrups and other medicines in an attempt to control their symptoms. However, the excessive use of medicines and syrups can have side effects for your health. That’s why we’re recommending you to look for natural alternatives.
There are natural ingredients that can act as an antibiotic, creating cough remedies capable of fighting the microorganisms which attack the respiratory airways. In this article we’ll share with you the famous natural syrup made from honey and onion.
Honey and onion cough remedies
The combination of honey and onion is one of the most well-known natural cough remedies used since ancient times. Both ingredients have an antibiotic and expectorant action that help to reduce the symptoms associated with coughing, in order to prevent it getting any worse.
Furthermore, they have the power to strengthen the immune system. This makes them effective against viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms which cause respiratory problems.
- Benefits of honey: Honey is recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a possible treatment for coughs and colds. It has the power to soothe the throat and calm irritations and alleviate the symptoms of a cough. Furthermore, it has antioxidant properties and increases the production of other substances called cytokines, which has an anti-microbial action.
- Benefits of onions: Onions are known worldwide as being a good natural expectorant. Its properties help to eliminate bacteria and stimulate the cleansing of the airways. This vegetable contains a high concentration of antioxidants, cleansing properties and detoxifying abilities that can help to control a cough. It also helps to relieve throat pain.
This natural syrup combines the properties of honey and onions to combat coughing, and to strengthen the immunological system. Its ingredients don’t have any side effects and are completely safe for children.
Honey and onion – cough remedy no. 1
- 1 medium onion
- 2 glasses of water (13.5 ounces)
- The juice from one lemon
- 2 teaspoons of honey (0.5 ounce)
- In the first of our cough remedies, you’ll need to peel and cut the onion into large slices. After this, boil them for 15 minutes in the water.
- After coming to the boil, remove them from the heat and let them sit for 5 minutes. Then add the two teaspoons of honey and lemon juice.
- It is best to drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
Honey and onion – cough remedy no. 2
- 1 onion
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey (1.5 to 2.5 ounces)
- First of all, peel and cut the onion into small slices and put in a bowl. Then add the honey and let it soak overnight.
- The following morning, strain the mixture using a thick gauze or strainer and use this entire dose throughout the day.
- You can take this remedy in its natural form or you can dilute it in a glass of water.
- It is recommended that you take a tablespoon of this syrup every 2 hours for best results.
Whichever one of these cough remedies you choose, it is important to know that the results are not immediate. In order for the remedy to work as a calming agent, you need to take it regularly. Only then can it help you to fight the cough symptoms.