Seven Homemade Treatments to Combat Frizzy Hair
What causes frizzy hair?
According to a publication in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium, shiny, smooth-textured hair with no split ends tends to be perceived as healthy. However, regardless of its color, shape, or length, your hair can be affected when you alter it with dyes or similar products.
As a rule, they can cause the following:
- Loss of shine
- Frizziness or dryness.
- Split ends.
- Other hair problems.
We also know that other factors, such as nutrition and dehydration, can affect hair health. In the case of frizzy hair, it’s usually associated with a loss of natural moisture, humidity from the climate, and deterioration of the hair fibers.
A study published in 2011 in Medecine Tropicale explained that frizzy hair is due to lateral growth and tight coiling of the hair fiber. This is usually secondary to improper grooming practices that provoke ingrown hair, infections, and damage. Frizzy hair is also considered to be a risk factor for excessive hair loss.
Homemade treatments to fight frizzy hair
Home treatments can be good supplementary remedies for reducing the appearance of frizzy hair. That said, since it’s a problem that may have its origin in damage to the hair, it’s best to seek advice from a dermatologist for other treatment options. Therefore, these home remedies should be supplemented with other treatments.
According to information from the American Academy of Dermatology, it’s possible to stop damaging your hair by improving the way in which you apply products such as shampoo and conditioner. Also, by reducing the use of heat, avoiding direct exposure to chlorine from swimming pools, and allowing your hair to air dry.
Here are some of the natural remedies that have become popular as alternatives to improve the appearance of frizzy hair. While there are no studies to back up their effectiveness, they’re generally safe. Give them a try.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Used on its own, apple cider vinegar is acidic and can be harsh for people with sensitive scalps. Nevertheless, diluted with water, it’s safe for almost everyone. It’s generally used externally to promote soft, shiny, frizz-free hair.
- To use, mix it in equal parts with water and spray it all over the hair. After about 10 minutes, rinse.
- Repeat the application 2 or 3 times a week.
Read this article too: Hair Loss Prevention: Five Tips for a Healthy Scalp
Another natural remedy that seems to have positive effects against frizzy hair is beer. However, it’s important to note that beer contains alcohol, which can dehydrate the hair.
For this reason, it should be used with extra caution and preferably combined with other hair products. If you have a sensitive scalp, it’s better to choose another option.
- Combine equal parts of beer and water and spray all over the hair.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Repeat twice a week.
3. Egg yolk
Egg yolk is a nutritious food, containing essential fatty acids, vitamins A, B, D, E, and minerals such as iron, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. According to a study published in Dermatology Practical & Conceptual, these nutrients contribute to healthier hair.
- To avoid frizzy hair, we recommend mixing your regular shampoo with an egg yolk. You hair will be clean, nourished, and frizz-free. This treatment is ideal for people with normal or dry hair.
Honey is a well-known product in the cosmetic industry due to its antioxidant, regenerative, and anti-inflammatory properties.
A review published in An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda states that honey is often used in the manufacturing of skin products and hair conditioners.
We suggest using it as a simple home treatment for frizzy hair, which also helps to treat dryness.
- 2 tablespoons of liquid honey (50 g).
- ½ cup of water (100 ml).
- Mix the honey with the water and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto your dry hair half an hour before you plan to wash it.
- Massage it into your scalp.
- Wash your hair as normal.
- Repeat daily.
5. Leave-in conditioner
A quick method for preventing frizzy hair is by using a small amount of hair conditioner, and not washing it out. If you do this, the conditioner will remain in your hair and act in an anti-frizz capacity.
- Make sure you don’t overuse this method. That’s because, while conditioner helps moisturize your hair, its overuse can cause dandruff or bad odor. Therefore, you should only use this remedy occasionally.
You might like to read this article: Five Natural Homemade Conditioners for Shiny Hair
6. Pre-wash hair mask
Another simple way of eliminating frizzy hair is applying a hair mask before washing. Once applied, leave it on your hair for at least half an hour. Then, wash it with your regular shampoo and conditioner. The result will be more hydrated and less tangled hair.
7. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is one of the most suitable oils for nourishing frizzy hair. A recent review, published in Dermatology and Venereology, highlights, as its main benefits, its moisturizing qualities for hair and skin.
- Apply it in small amounts, spreading it well in both hands and massaging it throughout all of your hair. You can apply it on wet or dry hair, before or after shampooing.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
There are several ways to avoid frizzy hair
Whether your hair is frizzy or not depends on many factors. However, it’s possible to improve its appearance with the application of the above remedies. Choose one at a time and stick with the one that works best for you. Remember to also consider other means of caring for your hair, such as using gentle combs and applying moisturizing treatments, among others.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Rizg WY, Hosny KM, Elgebaly SS, Alamoudi AJ, Felimban RI, Tayeb HH, Alharbi M, Bukhary HA, Abualsunun WA, Almehmady AM, Khallaf RA. Preparation and Optimization of Garlic Oil/Apple Cider Vinegar Nanoemulsion Loaded with Minoxidil to Treat Alopecia. Pharmaceutics. 2021 Dec 14;13(12):2150.
- Sinclair RD1. (2007). Healthy hair: what is it?. Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium. DOI: 10.1038/sj.jidsymp.5650046
- Morand, Jean-Jacques. (2011). [Frizzy hair pathology]. Médecine tropicale : revue du Corps de santé colonial. 71. 443-9.
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2017;7(1):1–10. Published 2017 Jan 31. doi:10.5826/dpc.0701a01
- Ediriweera ER, Premarathna NY. Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey – A review. Ayu. 2012;33(2):178–182. doi:10.4103/0974-8520.105233
- AAD. HOW TO STOP DAMAGING YOUR HAIR.