9 Home Treatments to Strengthen Weak Nails
Just as there are factors that can affect weak neails, there are also several home treatments to strengthen weak nails. These treatments are based on natural ingredients, such as olive oil, garlic, and onion, among others.
Now, for their healthy growth, nails require a sufficient intake of vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as amino acids and minerals.
It is also necessary to improve your lifestyle habits, especially with regard to food, since it plays a key role in the nutrition of the skin, as well as the growth of hair and nails.
Similarly, we must take care of them when we do housework by protecting our hands with gloves, for example. Read on and we will tell you more about how to have strong and beautiful nails!
Factors that affect and weaken your nails
Most of the nail structure is composed of a substance known as keratin, which is a type of protein found in epithelial cells. Research has determined that the nail has epidermal keratins and capillaries.
There are also some factors that can affect them, and that inevitably weaken them and make them sick, causing them to become brittle and develop what is known as brittle nail syndrome.
Among these factors we can mention:
- Bacterial infections
- Fungal infections (onychomycosis)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- The bad habit of biting your nails
- The use of chemical products in cleaning
- Excessive filing and injuries during manicures
- The use of removers with strong solvents
- Dermatological diseases
- Endocrine and metabolic disorders
Home treatments to strengthen weak nails
The good news is that there are ways to reverse the damage caused by some aggressive factors. In this article, we want to share some home treatments for weak nails that are made with 100% natural ingredients and can help nourish and strengthen them effectively.
1. Olive oil
The use of natural masks with vegetable oils could help counteract nail problems and reduce nail dryness, although there are still no studies to prove it.
One of the most recurrent ingredients is olive oil, which is considered very beneficial for the health of skin and nails, as it contains essential fatty acids and vitamins that nourish them remarkably.
- ½ cup olive oil (100 g)
- Dip your nails in half a cup of olive oil and let them soak for 20 minutes.
- Then, wash your hands with plenty of water and dry well.
We think you may be interested in reading this, too: Strategies To Keep Your Children from Biting Their Nails
2. Almond oil and an egg
The mixture of almond oil and egg is a simple natural remedy to repair and strengthen the nails, given its contribution of antioxidants, vitamins, and a significant amount of protein.
- 1 tablespoon of raw egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon almond oil (2.5 g)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and soak your nails with the product for 30 minutes.
3. Garlic polish
Garlic is one of the most popular ingredients for nail care. It has sulfur compounds, as well as antibiotic and antioxidant qualities. For this reason, it’s considered one of the best allies to strengthen them and prevent the appearance of fungus or infections.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 clear nail polish
- Crush very well the two cloves of garlic until you obtain a paste.
- Dip the paste into the clear polish.
- Apply a layer of the treatment every day for a week.
Note: Another way to use garlic as a strengthener is simply to prepare it with oil. To do this, place several whole unpeeled cloves in a jar with olive oil, and let it macerate for several days. Then, it can be applied as previously mentioned.
4. Mint and chamomile
The properties of mint and chamomile improve the appearance of weak nails and alleviate common problems such as dryness.
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons of chamomile (20 ml)
- 1 cup boiling water (250 ml)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil (2 g)
- 2 tablespoons of wheat flour (20 g)
- Prepare a mixture with the chamomile and mint leaves and add them to a cup of boiling water.
- Let the tea steep for 30 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and wheat flour to form a paste.
- Use the final preparation to cover the surface of the nails and leave it on for half an hour.
5. Onion juice
Onion juice is a good option to alleviate various ailments and one of its little-known benefits is to strengthen weak nails. This is because it’s rich in vitamin E, iron, and sulfur compounds.
- 1 medium onion
- Chop a medium onion, grind it in a bowl and cover your nails with the paste.
- Leave it on for at least 10 minutes and then allow the product to dry on your hands before rinsing.
- Repeat the treatment up to 3 times per week.
Like this article? You may also like to read: How to Strengthen Your Fingernails Naturally: 5 Tips
6. Castor oil
Castor oil is an important source of vitamin E, which is necessary for the nourishment of nails. Its daily use can combat dryness and weakness, so that they grow healthily.
- ¼ cup of castor oil (50 ml)
- 1 piece of cotton
- Dip a piece of cotton in the castor oil and apply it to the surface of the nails with a light massage.
7. Beer and olive oil
The combination of ingredients in this simple treatment concentrates important nutrients such as vitamins, trace elements, and proteins that penetrate the nails to improve their structure.
- ¼ cup olive oil (50 ml)
- ¼ cup beer (50 ml)
- Warm the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Once lukewarm, add the vinegar and beer and mix gently with a spoon.
- Soak the nails for 15 minutes.
8. Aloe vera
The properties of aloe vera are known from the medicinal as well as cosmetological point of view, contributing to skincare and general health; but it’s also very beneficial for the nails, helping to repair, moisturize, and disinfect.
- aloe vera gel squares
- a tablespoon of olive oil
- Mix the aloe vera gel with the olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on your nails, as if it were nail polish.
- Let it act for 15 minutes before washing them.
Cucumber is often used to moisturize the skin, as it contains 97% water. This is why it’s recommended for the treatment of dry and damaged skin. However, what you surely didn’t know is that it can also be a remedy for weak nails.
How to use it
There are two basic ways to use cucumber for these purposes:
- Peel a cucumber, chop it into cubes, separate the seeds, and mash the pulp.
- Apply this paste on your nails, leaving it on for 15 minutes.
- The other option is to prepare a juice by blending the cucumber with a little water. Then, soak your nails in the juice for several minutes.
Good nutrition for strong nails
Remember to be consistent in applying these natural treatments to strengthen weak nails. This is the only way to get good results.
In addition to these remedies, keep in mind that nutrition influences the growth of strong nails. They need vitamins A, B, and C, as well as keratin, calcium, and iron.
These nutrients can be found in foods such as carrots, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, onion, eggplant, olive oil, citrus fruits, lentils, soybeans, eggs, dairy products, seafood, pumpkin seeds, and quinoa, among other things.
Finally, you should try to maintain healthy habits by avoiding doing things that damage your nails, such as biting them, opening bottles, and cleaning without wearing gloves, among other actions.It might interest you...