Home Remedies to Soothe Sore Muscles
It’s normal to often experience tense muscles in daily life whether you might feel it in your shoulder or neck muscles.
If you have a serious injury, you shouldn’t hesitate to seek out professional help. Some injuries require certain techniques for relief and recovery.
However, there are simple methods that you can try at home for minor injuries.
The Causes of Muscle Tension
Stress, anxiety, pinched nerves, repetitive or exaggerated movements and a harmful sleeping posture can all be causes for sore muscles.
Muscle discomfort can also result from an injury, worn-out joints or cold environments.
There are even certain diseases that can also lead to muscle soreness:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
In addition, dermatomyositis and electrolyte imbalances, such as low levels of potassium or calcium, can have repercussions on muscles.
In addition, some medications such as angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEi), used for lowering blood pressure, lead to muscles soreness. Statin drugs, which control cholesterol, can also have an impact.
Visit this article:
5 Herbal Remedies for Treating Arthritis
Remedies to Soothe Sore Muscles
- Icing the affected area for the first 24 hours will reduce inflammation and pain. Massages are also effective for muscle pain.
- Regularly exercising also helps restore muscles: walking, riding a bike and swimming can all have a positive impact on muscles.
- Meanwhile, stretching, toning and aerobic exercises help prevent soreness. Getting a good night’s sleep and reducing your stress load, practicing yoga and meditation are also all great options.
- If you work in the same position over a long period of time, stretching at least once an hour is a must. Heated pillows or ice bags help relax the affect area and prevent pain.
Vitamins and hydration
Another recommendation for soothing muscle soreness is vitamin D supplements. Vitamins D rich foods, such as salmon, sardines or other oily fish, are also a good source.
In addition, we all need to keep our bodies hydrated, because this allows our muscles work better and prevents cramping. You should drink between 6-8 glasses of water every day.
Home solutions to soothe sore muscles
There are a variety of medications out there to relieve muscle pain, but some of them had side effects and can even lead to an addiction. Therefore, your best bet are home remedies.
1. Chamomile, mint or cherries
- Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties. A chamomile tea each day, or using chamomile oil on the affected area, can be a big help.
- Mint is also a great soother for muscle soreness. Menthol boasts pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
- Red cherries have antioxidant anti-inflammatory properties. They natural soothe muscles and fight back against chronic muscle, arthritis or fibromyalgia.
2. Cayenne pepper
The capsaicin present in cayenne pepper acts both as a muscle relaxer and pain-killer.
- Mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with two teaspoons of hot olive oil and apply to the sore area.
3. Epsom salts
The magnesium found in Epsom salts is key for muscles to run smoothly. It fights muscle cramps, spasms and tension while relaxing the nervous system and eliminating toxins from the body.
4. Rosemary and valerian
Rosemary calms muscle inflammation and pain. Thanks to better blood circulation, your body can recuperate faster. It’s great for rheumatoid artritis, muscles aches and headaches.
- For the infusion, add a teaspoon of rosemary to a cup of hot water, strain and drink three times a day. You can combine rosemary oil with coconut or olive oil and apply to the sore area.
Meanwhile, the anti-inflammatory and pain-killer valerian oil relaxes your muscles, especially those in the neck area. Valerian’s sedative effect relieves stress and helps you fall asleep.
Want to learn more? Read:
5. Arnica and lavender
Arnica is one of the best natural remedies for muscle soreness and inflammation. It boasts anti-inflammatory and pain-killer properties in addition to improving blood circulation.
- You can use it as a cream. Apply it twice daily to the affected area.
Lavender also has anti-inflammatory properties that fights muscle swelling and pain: back, neck and leg pain in particular. Lavender even fights arthritis, joint pain as well as headaches when the culprit is tension.
Passiflora, also known as the maypop or purple passionflower, is another home solution for muscle inflammation, menstrual pain or headaches. It’s an antispasmodic and sedative flower that fights stress, anxiety and irritability.It might interest you...