Healthy Habits for Drinking Coffee
In order to form healthy habits for drinking coffee, you need to know its benefits and side effects. Here are some tips to help.
Coffee is a beverage that’s widely consumed around the world. It’s also a great source of antioxidants and essential minerals. However, due to the stimulating effects of caffeine, and its effects on our physical and psychological states, it should be consumed in moderation. Do you know the effects of coffee consumption? Let’s look at some healthy habits for drinking coffee.
Effects of coffee consumption
Coffee is a beverage with many beneficial properties. The most notable are:
Decreases the risk of type 2 diabetes
Regular coffee drinkers may be 25 to 40% less likely to have diabetes. Coffee consumption increases the levels of certain plasma proteins that are responsible for regulating testosterone and estrogen levels. This helps prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Reduces the risk of liver disease
Drinking coffee has been linked to the prevention of liver cirrhosis. This disease is related to excessive alcohol consumption and hepatitis B. In addition, there are studies that suggest that its consumption reduces the risk of liver cancer by 40%.
Coffee has many essential nutrients for our bodies. For example, the B vitamins (niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid) that are necessary for our neuromuscular system are especially important. It also contains minerals (potassium, manganese and magnesium), that are vital for biochemical processes that take place in our bodies.
Stimulates the central nervous system
Caffeine is the most widely-consumed stimulant substance in the world. Drinking coffee increases dopamine and norepinephrine levels, which accelerate brain activity. This results in increased energy levels, reaction times, and overall cognitive function. That’s why students and workers drink it so often.
However, coffee also has numerous negative side effects such as heartburn, ulcer formation, increased anxiety and high blood pressure levels. It can also cause insomnia. For that reason, in some cases, like the ones below, people should not be drinking it.
Healthy habits for drinking coffee
In order to drink coffee responsibly, it’s important to keep the following guidelines in mind:
There are certain groups of people who shouldn’t drink too much coffee or who should eliminate it from their diets completely. This could be because they suffer from some type of physical or psychological disorder.
If you fall into any of the groups that we’re going to name below, you should talk to a health professional to determine whether you should eliminate coffee from your diet.
- Pregnant or lactation period: mothers can transmit caffeine to their babies. This negatively influences the baby’s development, and it can also cause stress and anxiety.
- Anemia: if you have iron deficiency and you’re taking a supplement for it, you should watch your caffeine intake. Caffeine makes it difficult for the body to properly absorb this mineral.
- Pharmacological treatment: in some cases, caffeine can increase the side effects of medications. Therefore, you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist about drinking coffee if you’re taking any medication.
- Insomnia or anxiety: caffeine consumption is highly discouraged for those who suffer from sleep disorders or anxiety attacks.
- Osteoporosis: just like with iron supplements, caffeine hinders the proper absorption of calcium into the body.
- Arterial hypertension: coffee can increase blood pressure. Therefore, it’s important to consult a specialist so they can tell you how much coffee is safe to consume.
- Gastritis: caffeine can irritate the gastric mucosa. This can cause discomfort in those who suffer from some type of ailment or pathology related to the digestive system.
Add coffee to a healthy and balanced diet
We often make the mistake of drinking coffee accompanied by sugar, condensed milk, or even cream. Additionally, we like to drink it with pasta, cakes, cookies, or packaged treats. Although coffee isn’t harmful in those instances, the calories and processed fats that accompany it can be.
We recommend drinking coffee with vegetable-based products, like almond or soy milk. In addition, you could try it with unsweetened milk and accompany it with fruits or whole grains. In doing so, you’ll get the benefits of coffee while also promoting healthy eating habits.