How to Get Rid of Mucus in The Lungs
In addition to inhaling vapors from medicinal herbs to soften up mucus in the lungs, you should also avoid foods that produce mucus and focus on ones that help you eliminate it.
When you get sick and fail to properly treat the problem, you can end up with mucus that builds up in your lungs. As a result, you can develop congestion, coughing, respiratory problems, pain, etc. In this article, we’ll explain how you can prevent and get rid of mucus in the lungs with natural homemade remedies.
Soften up mucus in the lungs
The first step to getting rid of mucus in the lungs is to soften it up. The harder the mucus is, the more difficult it is for it to leave your body. The best way to do this is by inhaling steam from hot water with medicinal plants.
- Firstly, in a pot, boil two liters of water and a few medicinal herbs. We especially recommend pine, thyme, rosemary, eucalyptus, chamomile, and oregano. Some herb shops sell pre-packaged mixes for this type of treatment.
- Then, after the mixture has boiled for between 5 and 10 minutes, you will start to see steam rise from the water. Remove the pot from the heat and place it in front of you. Then, cover your head with a towel and hover your face over the pot. Be careful not to burn yourself with too much steam.
- Inhale deeply through your nose, pressing down on one nostril and breathing through the other, and vice versa. Then, make sure to breathe through your mouth.
- You can do this several times per day.
Thin the mucus
It’s crucial that the mucus become as thin and watery as possible so your body can expel it more easily. There are a number of natural ways to achieve this:
- Drink vegetable broths: onion, leek, cabbage, garlic, carrot, turnip and celery.
- Drink thyme and eucalyptus teas between meals.
- Avoid foods that create even more mucus, such as flour and dairy products. It’s much healthier to drink plant-based drinks and eat dextrin bread when you have mucus in the lungs.
- Finally, drink at least two liters of water per day between meals.
Want to know more?: The Amazing Benefits of Thyme Tea
Get things moving
Once you have softened up and thinned the mucus, you’ll still have to help it leave your body naturally. The easiest way to do this is by having someone lightly pound on your back.
They should use the base of their hand to continuously hit the upper part of your back. This will help the mucus move away from the lungs and bronchial tubes. This massage is especially effective for children. Be careful not to exert too much pressure with older people or those with weak bones.
Take care of your intestines
Your intestines are closely related to your lungs. As such, keep them in mind when it comes to treating any lung problems. This is most important if you want to treat the cause and prevent it from coming back. Moreover, mucus in the lungs can also result from poorly digesting certain foods. That’s why, when children eat foods that they cannot yet digest, like refined flour, they tend to get mucus in the lungs.
An onion next to your bed
This is another homemade remedy that you can try. Make sure to try it when you first start to feel the mucus forming in your lungs before it really settles in. Simply cut an onion in half and leave it on the nightstand beside your bed all night long. As you sleep, you’ll breathe in the compounds found in onions. This, in turn, will clean out your respiratory system.
You should change the onion each night. If your mucus is very thick, this remedy may not work.
Make sure to read: How to Use Onion to Treat Ear Infections
Finally, we’ll discuss one more remedy which used to be done with glass yogurt cups. Today, its approach is a little more professional. This technique is an ancient therapeutic method developed by traditional Chinese medicine. It requires using little glass cups that suction to the body. They pull up the skin and part of the muscle, thereby opening the pores and moving around blood and lymphatic circulation.
With this treatment, patients are able to create “good” inflammation that decongests the organs, in this case, the lungs. Place one suction cup on either side of your lungs, between the shoulder blade and the spine. Then, leave it there for about 10 minutes. You may end up with circular red marks afterward, but they will gradually disappear. You can buy suction cups and do this at home, or seek a professional to do it for you.