Fight Phlegm With This Honey and Carrot Syrup
Phlegm is a common symptom of colds and other illnesses that tend to affect the respiratory system. Luckily, there are plenty of remedies that can help fight phlegm production and keep it from interfering with your health.
Its main function is to keep respiratory airways lubricated and protected from external invaders. It’s a bodily fluid secreted by the mucous membranes, and sometimes contains glycoproteins, antibodies, and other agents.
We all know how annoying it can be when your body produces too much. One of the main reasons for this is that your body tries to eliminate it by coughing it up.
To accompany the treatment prescribed by your doctor and obtain relief, you can try a natural carrot and honey syrup. It’s easy make and has a sweet, pleasant taste.
Below, we want to share more details regarding the properties of this syrup as well as how to make it. Don’t miss out if you want to discover how to fight phlegm!
Homemade honey carrot syrup to fight phlegm
People have used homemade syrups as a natural alternative for managing symptoms of the flu, colds, and other respiratory problems for a long time.
You might like: How to combat cold symptoms in 24 hours
These syrups use ingredients with anti-inflammatory and expectorant effects. That makes them ideal for relieving sore throats, excesses of phlegm, and respiratory airway obstructions.
This one, with carrots and honey, is one of the most effective and healthy choices. This is because it both manages the symptoms (like a cough) and strengthens your immune system, fighting the illness at its root.
Carrots are a natural source of dietary fiber and vitamins. They’re known for their antioxidantproperties and protective roles in the body. Indeed, the experts at the Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN) indicate that these foods are, principally, a source of vitamin A and carotenoids.
Carrots contain beta-carotene, a compound that helps improve your immune response to viruses and bacteria, along with being good for visual health.
Popular belief also holds that they’re also great for regulating cholesterol levels in your blood and promoting the elimination of retained toxins. What’s more, many claim they also contain anti-inflammatory agents. These contribute to the clearing of airways in order to relieve symptoms more quickly.
This, together with the antibiotic power of honey, makes for what’s said to be a great treatment to fight phlegm, get over a cough, and speed up recovery of other annoying parts of having a cold or the flu.
How to make your own honey carrot syrup to fight phlegm
Homemade carrot and honey syrup to fight phlegm is very easy to prepare, as you’ll see below:
- 3 1/2 cups of carrots (400 g)
- 5 tablespoons of organic honey (125 g)
- First, wash the carrots well, chop them into small pieces, and place them into a pot filled with water.
- Let boil until the carrots are soft.
- Next, remove the carrots and crush them with a fork or spoon.
- Then, put the purée into a glass bottle and mix with the five tablespoons of honey.
- Finally, cover the container and let sit for at least one day before consuming.
How to use
- Take 4 or 5 tablespoons of syrup every day to fight phlegm production. Remember that this in no way replaces the treatment prescribed by your doctor. At most, it’s considered a complementary treatment.
- If you want to use as a preventative treatment, you can take one tablespoon every day, preferably by itself.
- If you find the syrup too sweet, you can mix it with half a cup of lukewarm water.
We recommend: How To Grow Carrots at Home
Keep in mind:
This natural remedy isn’t for people who have problems with blood sugar levels. Honey tends to make those kinds of conditions worse.
We also can’t recommend it for people being treated with diuretics. This could enhance their effects and cause undesirable results.
In general, it’s a good way to boost defenses in both children and adults. After all, it provides a lot of nutrients and has a nice, pleasant flavor.It might interest you...