How to Tackle Hair Loss with Onion-based Remedies
Onions have been used as an agent to tackle hair loss since ancient times.
Their high concentration of sulfurous compounds, in addition to vitamins and minerals, deeply nourishes the scalp which allows for greater circulation and stimulates growth.
If the smell of the onion is too strong and a bit unpleasant for you, it can be combined with other ingredients that will facilitate its application and maximize the results.
However, in comparison to the commercial products that are used to control this problem, this remedy costs far less and usually doesn’t cause any side effects.
Since we know that many people want to learn how to use it, we wanted to share a series of remedies designed to fix this issue.
Tackle Hair Loss with These Onion Remedies
Onion and Argan Oil Remedy
The essential nutrients in onions combined with the hydrating and repairing abilities of argan oil provide a complete treatment to tackle hair loss.
Daily use repairs damaged hair and stimulates circulation in the scalp, which aids hair growth.
- 1 raw onion
- 2 tablespoons of argan oil (30 g)
- Extract the juice from the raw onion and mix it with 2 tablespoons of argan oil.
- Once it’s well mixed, separate your hair into sections and apply the mixture to your entire scalp.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it out with your normal shampoo.
- Do this at least 2 times a week to achieve the best results.
You might like:
5 Hair Masks to Prevent Frizz
Onion and Honey Remedy
It’s well known that the combination of onion and honey provides immune and respiratory benefits, but it’s also a great solution to tackle hair loss.
Its properties regulate oil production in the scalp and help to retain natural moisture, which will fight the weakening of your hair.
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of honey (75 g)
- Cut the onion into various slices. Combine with the honey and mix in a blender.
- Once you have a paste, apply it to the entire scalp as well as through the strands of your hair.
- Let it sit for one hour and then rinse completely with warm water and shampoo.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Onion and Coconut Oil Remedy
Coconut oil is one of the most widely used products for added moisture and controlling problems related to hair.
Its fatty acids and amino acids deeply nourish hair, while simultaneously working to decrease hair loss, dryness, and excessive oils.
This, added to the nutritional power of onions, allows you to improve the appearance and volume of our hair in a short amount of time.
- 3 tablespoons of organic coconut oil (45 g)
- The juice from 1 onion
- Heat the coconut oil in a double boiler and mix in the onion juice.
- Rub the treatment through all of your hair and let sit for 40 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat treatment 2 times a week.
Onion and Rosemary Remedy
Rosemary is a medicinal plant that controls excessive hair loss and promotes natural hair growth.
These properties, combined with those of onions, contribute to the reduction of hair loss while leaving your hair shiny and strong.
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of rosemary infusion (500 ml)
- Cut the onion into small slices and mix in a blender with 2 cups of rosemary infusion.
- Be sure that the liquid is completely mixed and rub it through all of your hair, including the roots.
- Let it sit for 40 minutes and rinse with your favorite shampoo.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
Simple Natural Remedies for Damaged Hair
Onion and Rum Remedy
This ancient remedy that combines onion and rum is an alternative treatment that helps to reduce excessive hair loss and the difficulties in hair growth.
Its compounds strengthen the hair follicles and remove dead cells that affect the oxygenation process in your hair.
- 2 onions
- 1 cup of rum (250 ml)
- Cut the onion into slices and add them to a container with a cup of rum.
- Cap the container tightly and let the mixture sit for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, run the mixture through a colander and massage the liquid through the roots of your hair.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse.
- Repeat every 2 days.
Is your hair losing volume? Choose any of these treatments and incorporate it into your beauty routine to treat it.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Azcona, Á. C. (2016). La cebolla, una aliada para tu salud. Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Avila-sosa, R., Navarro-cruz, A. R., Vera-lópez, O., Dávila-márquez, R. M., Melgoza-palma, N., & Meza-pluma, R. (2011). Romero ( Rosmarinus officinalis ): Una revisión de sus usos no culinarios. Ciencia y Mar.
- Ulloa, A., Mondragón Cortez, P. M., Rogelio, Q. F. B., Rodríguez, R., Juan, Q. F. B., Reséndiz Vázquez, A., … Ulloa, R. (2010). La miel de abeja y su importancia. Fuente. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-35125-9_6
- L., H. K., & Peyrí, A. (2010). Dermatología. Books Abroad. https://doi.org/10.2307/40085227