A few times a year, especially when the weather gets colder, it is common for the immune system to weaken and for a cold to appear.
While this isn’t the only factor that causes this condition, being exposed to low temperatures increases your risk considerably.
Consequently, it triggers a series of symptoms that, depending on the severity of the cold, can affect your quality of life for a few days.
However, there are various commercial and homemade remedies that can noticeably decrease your symptoms so that they do not interfere with your daily activities.
Among these remedies is a natural syrup made with honey and ginger that provides the body with nutrients and properties that strengthen its defenses.
As we continue, we want to share the benefits and the easy recipe you can prepare at home.
Homemade honey and ginger syrup to help fight colds
The combination of bee honey and ginger gives us a natural syrup that fights the uncomfortable symptoms of the flu and colds.
These ingredients are a source of essential ingredients that, once absorbed, strengthen the immune system. This helps the body respond to viruses that cause this condition.
The difference between this syrup and those sold in the store is that this recipe is free of added chemicals. Because of this, you can take it safely and without any risk of side effects.
Benefits of honey
Honey is a powerful anti-viral and anti-bacterial ingredient that has been used for ages as a natural remedy for problems that affect our airways.
Rich in enzymes and essential amino acids, it is an effective treatment for excess phlegm, congestion, and other cold symptoms.
- First of all, it contains vitamin C and vitamin A, both necessary for improving your defenses when faced with a viral attack.
- It provides trace elements like potassium and magnesium which are necessary for inhibiting the action of the microorganisms in the body.
- Its anti-inflammatory power calms irritation in the airways and, at the same time, controls your cough and throat pain.
Benefits of ginger
Ginger is a spice with anti-inflammatory properties and expectorants that have been used for centuries to treat colds.
- Gingerol, its main asset, provides antibiotic effects that help to eliminate the viruses and bacteria that affect your pulmonary health
- It is full of nutrients like Vitamin C which is essential for strengthening the immune system and increasing the production of antibodies
- Ginger provides the body with potassium, niacin, and phosphorus- substances that help to control inflammation
- It also has antitussive properties which are key to relieving your cough
- Its high content of antioxidants helps to clean and protect the airways while simultaneously minimizing the negative effects of free radicals and toxins.
How do I make this homemade honey and ginger syrup?
Making this syrup is rather simple and, if you compare it to conventional methods, it is much more cost-effective.
The best part is that you don’t have to be sick to make it. It can be stored easily, so you can take it regularly as a way to support your defenses.
So, when the weather starts getting colder and you feel a cold coming on, don’t hesitate to start using it.
- 1 medium sized ginger root
- 1 cup of organic bee honey (335 g)
- Airtight glass jar
- Peel the ginger root and cut into fine slices
- Add the spice to the glass jar and then cover it with the cup of bee honey
- Seal the jar. Put it in a dark place for 48 hours so that the ginger can take effect.
- After 48 hours, start the treatment with the syrup
How to consume
- To fight the cold, consume 3-4 tablespoons of the syrup a day
- As a preventative method, consume 1 tablespoon on an empty stomach every day
- Give kids the dosage in teaspoons
- If you would like, combine the syrup with warm water and lemon to make it easier to consume
As you see, it is very easy to make your own syrup to fight the symptoms of colds that affect your health.
Follow the given recommendations and see the benefits for yourself.