The neck is a part of the body that we tend to forget until the passage of time rudely draws our attention to its now sagging appearance. There are a variety of factors that can influence the appearance of a double chin, but luckily there are quite a few natural solutions that will gradually reduce its appearance.
In this article, we’ll provide some tips to naturally eliminate a double chin with a few simple exercises and lifestyle changes that you can make to promote your overall health and well being.
Are you overweight?
When a double chin is especially pronounced it’s often the result of weight gain, so the first step to reducing its appearance is to avoid gaining weight in the first place and, if possible, losing a little. To reduce the unsightly appearance of a sagging chin, eat a balanced diet and reduce your portions at dinner, which is usually the most fattening meal of the day.
If being overweight is the reason behind your double chin, it will be especially apparent when you open your mouth.
We’ll show you a few tips to help you lose weight without making a lot of sacrifices:
- Eat more fiber: fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, dried fruit, seeds and nuts.
- Avoid fried foods, sugar, dairy, processed or fatty meats, and pastries.
- Eat a salad with every meal.
- Drink a glass of water half an hour before eating.
- Chew your food throroughly and eat slowly, really savoring your food. This will help you feel more satisifed.
Is it sagging skin?
Other cases of a double chin are due to sagging skin on the face and neck, and not fat. This can be caused by sudden weight loss, aging, or even genetics. Whichever the case, you should start eating more protein to strengthen and reinforce these tissues, both animal (meat, fish, eggs, dairy) and vegetable (legumes, dried fruit, mushrooms, spirulina, etc.).
You can also take an all natural, homeopathic supplement that will help restore the firmness to the tissues of your body. Not only the neck, but the musculature in general. It’s called calcium fluoratum D6. Take three tabs under the tongue, three times daily between meals. Avoid drinks and strong flavors like menthol (including gum and toothpaste). It can be taken for two months at a time. After taking a break, the regimen can be continued for another two months.
Hydration and Exfoliation
In both cases, it’s important to hydrate, exfoliate, and deeply nourish the area, to remove dead skin cells and renew and strengthen the skin.
- Exfoliating can be accomplished using natural products, like salt, sugar, or baking soda, once a week. Gently rub into wet skin in circular motions with your fingertips for at least one minute, then dry and moisturize.
- Skin should be hydrated one to two times daily using vegetable oils suitable for moisturizing skin: coconut, almond, evening primrose oil, jojoba, etc. Use this time to gently massage the skin to help eliminate the appearance of a double chin. Using the thumb and forefinger, massage the area working your way up and down, stretching the skin just slightly.
Finally, the key component to reducing a double chin, whatever the cause, is exercise. Just 10 minutes a day is enough, but being consistent is essential.
- While sitting or standing, turn your eyes or head to the ceiling, raising your chin. When you’re stretched as far as you can go, purse your lips and hold this position for a few seconds. You’ll be able to feel this area stretching.
- Gently turn the the head to one side, hold for a few seconds, then repeat with the other side.
- Place a tennis ball under your chin and hold it to your chest. Apply force to compress the ball. Repeat a few times for maximum effect.
- Chewing gum is a curious, but simple exercise that helps tone the chin. Avoid gum with sugar.
Images courtesy of diekatrin, carme_r, and debcil.