Discover the Amazing Benefits of Broccoli Soup
Broccoli soup is a very appetizing dish, especially with a touch of grated or powdered cheese. It helps to satiate the appetite, warms, comforts, and also nourishes us. Moreover, it allows us to enjoy its main ingredient in a different way than usual.
Below we will tell you more about broccoli and some delicious soup recipes you can prepare with it.
Broccoli, a very healthy food
Broccoli’s a very healthy food and, at some point, we’ve all heard the story of parents trying to get their children to eat it so that they grow up healthy and strong, despite the fact that at an early age, this food isn’t very appealing to the eye.
And why so much insistence? Because despite its appearance or what we may think of it when we’re small, it has a good nutritional value that’s worth taking advantage of within a balanced diet. According to experts from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation:
“Specifically, it’s a good source of vitamin C (although a considerable part of it can be lost during the cooking process) and folates, to the point that one serving (7 ounces) provides almost twice the recommended intakes of vitamin C and a quarter of the recommended intakes of folates for a man and a woman aged 20 to 39 years with moderate physical activity.”
For their part, experts from the 5 A Day Association state that broccoli’s a good source of vitamin A and an excellent source of vitamin C and folic acid. They also point out that it’s a very low-sodium food.
Broccoli’s also rich in antioxidants and contains glutathione, an antioxidant that can improve the health of the immune system.
Fiber’s very positive for weight loss diets. This happens, among other things, because fiber-rich foods take longer to digest. Therefore, the feeling of satiety lasts longer. Fiber also prevents constipation and other intestinal pathologies, better regulating the whole metabolism of the digestive system.
We recommend you also read: How to grow onions at home
A simple broccoli soup recipe
This is the most classic broccoli soup recipe you can find. However, it’s possible to make variations with other ingredients, such as zucchini, for example, and obtain equally delicious dishes.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/2 of an onion
- First, chop the onion and peel the potatoes.
- Wash the head of broccoli and chop it.
- Then, cook everything in salted water for 20 minutes (only use a small amount of water so that the vegetables can preserve all their nutrients).
- Once that time has passed, process everything in a blender or food processor until you get a fine puree.
- You can leave some of the vegetables whole and use them as a garnish for the soup.
- Season to taste.
- If you like, you can add a little skim milk or plain yogurt before serving.
Some frequently asked questions
- When can I have my broccoli soup? You can have it as a first course at noon or as part of your dinner.
- What ingredient can I substitute for the potato? Zucchini’s a good option, although there are those who are a little more daring and use avocado, which helps to obtain a much creamier result.
- Can I add olive oil to my broccoli soup? Yes, you can add a splash of oil when processing the ingredients. This way, you will be able to blend everything perfectly.
- What can I add to give it more flavor? Aromatic herbs give very nice results, although you can also try a little pepper or curry.
- Would it be better if I steam the broccoli? You can give it a try. Some people find that when broccoli is just right, i.e. not too hard and not too soft, the soup is tastier.
- Can broccoli soup provide me with health benefits? Just like other delicious recipes, broccoli soup can help you supplement your diet. Soup alone won’t prevent or cure diseases, but it can definitely help you maintain balance and variety in your diet, which is very beneficial.
So, what are you waiting for to make some?It might interest you...