Delicious Homemade Donuts with Dulce de Leche Filling
The secret ingredient in these delicious homemade donuts is the dulce de leche filling. You can buy it at the store, but it always tastes better when you make it at home.
Who wouldn’t want to try some delicious homemade donuts?
They’re soft, fresh from the kitchen and with the unmistakeable and delicious taste that only dulce de leche can add. In addition, since it’s a homemade recipe, you can control how much sugar you put in them.
Let’s focus on what makes this dessert so delicious. In addition, it’s a traditional recipe in many Spanish-speaking places around the world. No matter where you try them, the truth is, their unmistakable flavor makes them irresistible.
High Sugar Content
First, before you make these donuts at home, you need to be aware of their high sugar and carbohydrate content. It wouldn’t be fair if we didn’t tell you this.
However, this doesn’t mean that you should leave this recipe out of your kitchen.
Your eating habits and lifestyle should more or less determine whether you want to make desserts like this at home. In addition, another thing that you need to think about is the amount of donuts you eat. Therefore, if you control your portions, you’ll be able to eat some sugar.
The consistency that you need to achieve with this dessert will have a lot to do with how you make the sponge cake. While it’s similar to making a cake, the texture should be softer and more malleable than cake batter.
To do this, you’ll need to use an ingredient that you might not have thought about including in desserts: potatoes.
Yes! Believe it or not, you’ll want to use a potato. However, to find out how to do this little trick, you’ll need to keep reading to discover exactly what you need.
Read this article: Strawberry Cake with Sugar-free Whipped Cream
How to Make Homemade Donuts with Dulce de Leche Filling
If I don’t have dulce de leche, can I use a different ingredient?
There really is no limitation, so you can use whatever filling you’d like in this recipe.
However, if you have problems getting dulce de leche or don’t know how to make it, don’t worry. Here’s a link so that you know what you need and how to make it at home with this homemade dulce de leche recipe.
That said, it’s also true that if you use another filling for these donuts, you would not be following this traditional recipe. In fact, the goal is to discover why this simple cake is so popular among people all over the world.
Homemade Donuts with Dulce de Leche Filling
- 1/2 cup of water (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (125 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (40 g)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 g)
- 1 large potato (about 250 g)
- 2 1/2 cups of wheat flour (300 g)
- 1 cup of condensed milk (250 ml)
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder (15 g)
- 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar (60 g)
- The first thing you need is a medium pot. Pour water in with orange juice, butter and salt.
- Next, melt the ingredients and stir them well.
- Now, prepare the large potato. Remove the skin and boil it. When it’s soft, mash it until you get a puree.
- With the liquid mixture, add the mashed potato, condensed milk and egg.
- To make sure that there are no lumps and to mix better, use a wooden spoon.
- Next, add the wheat flour and baking powder. Then, knead very well with your hands.
- It’s important that there are no lumps or uneven parts in the dough. Otherwise, the shape of the donuts will change from air trapped inside.
- Then, sprinkle some extra wheat flour on a wooden board and continue kneading. Don’t add more flour to the mixture, just to the table. Otherwise, it will make it hard, not fluffy like it should be.
- With the help of a roller, flatten the mixture until it’s a thickness of no more than 1.5 cm (a little over a half an inch).
- Cut the dough using a cookie cutter and set it aside.
- Let them sit for an hour and 30 minutes. This is to encourage them to get soft and fluffy.
- Then, pour the tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, fry the donuts. It only takes about one minute per donut.
Fill The Homemade Donuts
- To fill them, you need to pour the dulce de leche in a piping bag and make small holes in the donuts.
- One by one, add the sweet milk until you fill all of the homemade donuts.
- Finally, sprinkle sugar on top, let them cool, and you’re good to go.
You can eat them warm and freshly made at home. Enjoy!