Creamed Corn Recipe: Easy and Delicious
Creamed corn is a delicious recipe to accompany a wide variety of dishes. In fact, meats, filled pastas, and vegetables are some examples of this.
Although the origin of this recipe isn’t totally clear, we do know that corn is a very important ingredient in the gastronomy of different Central American countries. So, in all likelihood, it may well have come from these areas.
Read more: An Easy Corn Dog Recipe
How to prepare creamed corn?
Preparing your own creamed corn at home is very easy. Here’s the recipe so you can make it yourself.
Prepare the creamed corn with ingredients commonly used in the kitchen:
- Salt to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- Smoked paprika and oregano to taste
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 units of corn or 1 can of yellow corn kernels
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt or spreadable cheese
- To begin, peel and finely chop the onion and garlic clove (remove the center of the garlic so it doesn’t spoil the flavor of the sauce). Make it as small as you can. If you have a food processor, you can grind them in this appliance. When finished, set it aside for a few minutes.
- Then continue with the corn. If you choose to use a canned product, it’s important to open it and remove all the liquid it contains. Wash several times under running water to remove excess sodium. Then drain and reserve the grains in a container.
- If you prefer to use the cob, you have to peel, wash and then shell the 3 units. To do this, use a knife. Proceed by holding the corn firmly with one hand and with the other hand cut the kernels flush. Place a plate or dish to collect them.
- Once you have these ingredients ready, it’s time to start cooking. Put the olive oil in a frying pan, turn the heat on low and put the reserved onion and garlic in it. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes transparent.
- Then add the corn kernels. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now it’s time to add the salt and seasoning. Season to taste.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to the blender, add the milk and blend for a few minutes. Do this until the grains are processed and a thick paste is formed. At this step you can add the amount of liquid you want, depending on how thick you want the creamed corn to be. If you want it to be creamier, add the 2 tablespoons of spreadable cheese or natural yogurt.
- When you have obtained the texture you want, taste and if you think it needs it, add more salt, paprika or oregano.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and you can now accompany your dishes with this exquisite creamed corn.
Keep in mind that it can last up to 3 days in the refrigerator and that to preserve it you have to use a container with a lid.
Dishes in which you can add this recipe
If you don’t know which dishes this sauce can accompany, then take a look at the following:
- As a topping for baked chicken with vegetables.
- As a topping for vegetable lasagne,
- As a dressing for meat rolls with salad.
- As a topping for spinach and cheese cannelloni.
- As a spread for toast or breadsticks.
- To flavor lentil burgers.
Some nutritional facts about creamed corn
It’s important to note that this sauce is nutritious, as corn is considered a healthy food. In relation to this, there’s vast scientific evidence detailing that the intake of this and other whole grains are beneficial to humans.
The Spanish Nutrition Foundation states that the nutrient content in 100 grams (4 oz) of corn is as follows:
- 19.5 grams of complex and simple carbohydrates.
- 3.3 grams of protein.
- 40 micrograms of folates.
- 12 micrograms of beta-carotene or vitamin A precursors.
- 2.8 grams of dietary fiber.
Corn is a food suitable for celiac or gluten intolerant people.
Read also: True or False: Is Popcorn Fattening?
Tips for making this sauce
This sauce is delicious and you can eat it with hot or cold food. Depending on the dish you want to eat, you can either reheat it or keep it in the refrigerator.
If you like, you can add toppings to the sauce. A few drops of ketchup, hot sauce, soy sauce or lemon drops are ideal to give personality to this sauce.