Add Celery to Your Diet to Fight Inflammation
Celery is a crisp, fresh tasting, and refreshing vegetable that can be added to cooked dishes and salads. Maybe you love the particular flavor it adds to your food, but in addition to that it’s also one of the healthiest vegetables you can find.
The secret to celery is in the seeds, which contain aromatic substances. They’re rich in certain essential oils that help fight inflammation while removing toxins from the body.
In today’s article, we invite you to start to add celery to your diet on a regular basis. We’ll explain why.
Celery: a great way to lose weight
Experts in vegetable studies recommend that when choosing celery, you should pick the brightest stalks, with thick, dense, and firm stems.
Never choose celery that is soft, or when the upper stems have taken on a whitish color.
Celery can remain in good condition for three or four days when wrapped in a damp paper towel and stored in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat it, dip the bottom end of the stem in a little water to freshen it back up.
Once you’ve bought it and are ready to try it out, you’re probably wondering what kinds of benefits you’ll find when you take that “first bite” of celery.
Discover 5 revitalizing celery recipes
1. It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory agent
- One of the most interesting properties of celery is its ability to reduce inflammation.
- This is due to the presence of polyacetyline, which not only helps your body eliminate toxins and promote healthy weight loss, it also provides relief for cases of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma, and bronchitis.
2. Celery, a food regulator
What on earth do we mean when we say that celery is a food regulator?
- Celery isn’t a primary source of energy that contains proteins or nutrients to give strength and vitality.
- Celery and also cucumber are two vegetables that contain low amounts of energy, but high purifying and hydrating powers
- They help regulate internal processes by balancing mineral levels and cleansing the body thanks to their essential compounds.
- Celery is high in water content, fiber, potassium, sodium, vitamins C and E, folate, and calcium.
3. Dietary properties of celery
- As you probably remember from the beginning of this article, one of the more interesting properties of celery lies in its essential oils, such as apiol, limonene, psoralens, or apilina.
- All of these contribute to the diuretic effects of this vegetable, which increases the production of bile and promotes better digestion.
- Another great aspect of celery is that it makes you feel satisfied. It’s highly recommended, therefore, that you drink a green smoothie every day to stay hydrated, cleanse the body, and prevent snacking between meals.
4. Benefits for your heart
- Celery is rich in a compound known as phthalide, which helps relax the muscles around the arteries and promotes proper circulation.
- And don’t forget that this vegetable is one of the best for balancing your cholesterol levels, while reducing levels of bad cholesterol, or LDL.
Find out How to use celery to lose weight
Salad with celery and green apple to reduce inflammation
Try this delicious salad made with celery, green apples, and nuts to give you all the benefits we’ve described above.
It’s healthy, easy to make, and excellent as a side dish for salmon or chicken breast with lemon. It’s a great dish that you can include in any diet.
Are you ready to write this down?
- 1 green apple
- 2 bunches of celery
- 5 large leaves of lettuce
- 100 g arugula
- 1 leaf of endive
- 5 walnuts, chopped
- The juice from half a lemon
- Mustard seeds (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons of honey (100 g)
- White pepper (to taste)
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
See also: Can a salad really be a main course?
- Start by washing the celery and apple. Then chop both into small, bite-sized pieces. It’s not necessary to peel the apple first, but make sure you throw away the seeds.
- Chop the nuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lemon juice, mustard seeds, and honey. Then add the olive oil and white pepper. This will be your dressing.
- What’s the next step? It’s simple. Pick your dish for serving this delicious salad and add the lettuce and arugula. Then toss in the pieces of apple, celery, and nuts. Finally, add your dressing and enjoy every bite of this simple dish.
This is an ideal option for lunch, and is great for any weight loss plan. How could you resist it?