Carrot Syrup for the Flu: Benefits and Preparation
By combining carrots and honey, you can prepare natural remedy to keep flu symptoms under control. Discover more about this carrot syrup and how to prepare it in the following article.
Carrot syrup for the flu is a natural remedy that can help to keep certain flu symptoms under control, like excess phlegm, coughing, and congestion. Unlike many conventional syrups, it doesn’t contain chemical additives and it concentrates important essential nutrients.
The flu is a viral illness that affects the health of your respiratory system. It usually involves symptoms like nasal congestion, fever, and overall discomfort. While these issues fade away over a few days, it’s common to seek treatment to cope with them. That’s why we want to suggest this completely natural home remedy.
The benefits of carrot syrup for the flu
The benefits of carrot syrup for the flu are very diverse. First of all, this vegetable is jam-packed with antioxidants and vitamins that strengthen immune function. In fact, it contains a significant dose of vitamin C, which plays a key role in fighting infections.
At the same time, carrots contribute to blocking the negative effects of free radicals on our cells. This is a determinating factor when it comes to maintaining optimal defense mechanisms. What’s more, it also helps to relieve overall discomfort and increase our physical and mental energy levels.
Now, this natural syrup combines with the antibiotic and antiviral power of honey. We all already know that how highly recommended honey is when it comes to the cold and flu. Its properties help to stop the growth of the virus and significantly favors respiratory health.
In fact, since ancient times, honey has been a basic element in the preparation of remedies against congestion, excessive phlegm, and throat irritation. What’s more, it can help in severe cases of bronchitis and chronic pulmonary illnesses.
Discover: 3 Cough Syrup Remedies to Make at Home
How to prepare carrot syrup for the flu
Fortunately, making carrot syrup isn’t complicated, nor does it take a long time. The best part is that its ingredients are relatively cheap and you can get them at any supermarket. What’s more, the final product is useful in offering flu and cold relief to both children and adults.
- 5 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup of organic bee honey (4 oz.)
- The juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- To begin, wash the carrots thoroughly and cut them into small pieces.
- Then, place them in a saucepan and boil them on high heat.
- Once they’re soft, remove them from the burner and blend them to make a puree.
- Then, pour the puree into a glass jar, along with the honey and lemon.
- Cover the jar and allow it to sit for one day before taking it.
How to take carrot syrup
- In cases of the flu, cold, or cough, take 2 tablespoons of syrup every 4 hours.
- If you’re looking to prevent illnesses, take a tablespoon every day before breakfast or at mid-morning.
- If you prefer, you can dilute the syrup in a glass of warm water.
This natural syrup is not suitable for patients with diabetes. So, if you experience ups and downs with your blood sugar, talk to a doctor first. Also, if you’re taking any medications, find out about any possible interactions before taking this syrup.
What are the other benefits of this syrup?
Both carrots and honey have significant effects on wellbeing. So, besides fighting the flue, this syrup offers numerous other benefits that are well worth mentioning:
- It contains substances like beta-carotene and lutein, which contributes to better visual health.
- Its vitamin A and C content to help protect the skin and keep it healthy.
- This carrot syrup strengthens the immune system, improving its response to the attack of pathogenic agents.
- It also favors a decrease in cholesterol levels.
- Its antioxidant compounds reduce the negative impact of free radicals. What’s more, it boosts the functioning of the nervous system.
- Since this combination is rich in fiber, it’s easy to digest and helps treat constipation.
- It combats the retention of liquids and reduces inflammation.
In conclusion, you can use this syrup to compliment the treatment of the flu. Even though it’s not effective in curing illnesses, it helps to reduce the symptoms. What’s more, its ingredients offer many other important benefits for our bodies.
So, what are you waiting for? Give it a try!