The Best Ways to Disinfect Your Bathroom
The bathroom is one of the most used rooms in the house. It is also one of the most contaminated. In order to fix that, there are many recommendations for disinfecting your bathroom.
The main infecting agents in the bathroom are bacteria and mold. Moisture is the first cause of these. So, the bathroom should stay ventilated and dry.
Another common cause of contamination is urine and fecal matter residue in the toilet bowl. For that reason, you should get used to completely unloading the tank.
Soap and shampoo residue attract fungi. The same occurs with toothpaste. Also, they cause annoying stains in the sink.
The bathroom should be deeply disinfected at least once a week. While, on a daily basis, you should take corrective cleaning measures. This will help to decrease the risk of infection.
Where to start when disinfecting the bathroom
To start disinfecting the bathroom, the first thing you need to do is use gloves. This keeps you from having direct contact with the bacteria. They also protect your hands from the cleaning products that can be abrasive.
Another aspect to keep in mind is the importance of using specific products for each area. Stain removers, disinfectants and bleach are the most basic for cleaning.
Be careful to not use the same cleaning supplies for every part of the bathroom. You should use one brush or cloth for each bathroom.
The toilet bowl and the tub or shower are the parts of the bathroom that accumulate the most germs. You have to be careful with the floor and walls. Remember that the drain accumulates soap, shampoo and hair residue.
Before you start to clean the shower or bath, you should get rid of all of this residue. A damp sponge with bleach or stain remover will help to remove mold from the walls.
The toilet bowl should be cleaned with bleach for the best results. It is important to clean the edges well because a lot of dirt is accumulated there. The seat can be cleaned with a cloth with disinfectant or bleach.
When it comes to the sink, the first thing you should do is clean the toothpaste and hair residue. Also, there may be grit from the water. With a bleach-filled sponge you can disinfect the entire thing. Then, clean with a lot of water.
Don’t forget about the floors and walls of the bathroom in general. A cloth with hot water, soap and bleach is effective for those. It is important to get rid of the cleaner’s residue after applying it.
Mistakes when disinfecting the bathroom
1. Little or no ventilation. Some people are accustomed to disinfecting the bathroom with the windows and door closed. Open windows or a dehumidifier will keep mold from growing because of the moisture.
2. Forgetting about the shower curtains. Because of their contact with the water, the shower curtains can accumulate mold. They should be cleaned with a damp brine cloth. Also, diluted bleach is effective.
3. Not changing the towels. Because of the humidity, towels accumulate bacteria. The ideal thing to do is change them once a week. The same should be done with the shower and sink mats.
4. Not cleaning the accessories. The cup that you put your toothbrush in accumulates a lot of mold. This fungus can attach to the bristles of your toothbrush. It is recommended that you clean all of the bathroom’s accessories with water and soap.
5. Forgetting about the mirror. Vinegar and water is effective for cleaning the mirror. You can also use a common mirror cleaner.
Simple tricks for disinfecting the bathroom
- The mixture of vinegar and water is effective for removing any kind of accumulation from the shower. In the case that it is rusted, you can prepare a solution of hot water and lemon and salt.
- To remove stains from the drain, you can use baking soda and water. It is important to use very hot water to get the best results.
- In the case of very difficult stains, alcohol is the most effective option. Mix one part alcohol for every 6 parts water. Apply the mixture to the stained area and let sit for a few minutes. Then, clean with water.