Benefits of Drinking Water on an Empty Stomach
Our bodies are composed mainly of water. 75% of our muscles, 90% of our brain, 22% of our bones and 83% of our blood is water. Understanding this means we must be aware of the importance of water intake for our daily health. By doing this, we’ll help to protect our body from the many diseases that can cause it harm. Our recommendation is to drink water on an empty stomach, due to the numerous benefits it can bring for our health.
We recommend that you consume between 1 and 4 glasses of water on an empty stomach daily. But what benefits can you expect from this? Read on and find out!
10 reasons to drink water on an empty stomach
Water is essential for life and its benefits for our health are undeniable. All our body’s organs need water to function smoothly and well. We would do well to take advantage of this vital liquid that we have at our disposal!
- Drinking 1 or 2 glasses of water before breakfast is ideal for eliminating toxins and all the substances that our body does not need. Thanks to this, water can help to prevent diseases and boost our metabolism at the start of each day.
- During the night our bodies work to repair cells and cleanse themselves. Drinking a glass of water on an empty stomach is very beneficial in this process. Why? Because it gives a special boost to the body. In addition to that, it will help it to release all unneeded substances through urine.
- Drinking a glass of water or more on empty stomach helps minimize the harmful effects of certain substances such as alcohol, tobacco, pollution, junk food, among others.
- Water is a great ally for the skin and very beneficial to your health. Drinking 2 cups of water on an empty stomach helps maintain the elasticity of the skin and prevents premature wrinkles.
- The habit of drinking water in the morning protects and hydrates our vital organs, making them healthy and keeping them working well.
Weight loss and energy
- Drinking 2-3 glasses of water on empty stomach is ideal for weight loss. Besides eliminating toxins from the body, water helps to burn fat and calories. In this way it reduces hunger pangs and helps us to avoid putting on weight by overeating.
- Drinking water in the morning helps to maintain an overall good state of health. It helps to keep the lymphatic system healthy, as well as the intestinal transit. It also helps us to control our cortisol levels, and defends us against infections.
- Consuming a glass of warm water on empty stomach is a good way to start the day with energy. It gets rid of the sensations of sleep and fatigue that we usually experience first thing in the morning.
- Drinking water before breakfast is ideal for combating and preventing constipation, as it stimulates our bowel movements.
- If you experience problems such as gastritis, water can become your best ally in treating the discomfort. Drink at least 3 glasses of water on an empty stomach in order to reduce the level of acidity in your stomach. It will also relieve the cramps that comes with gastritis.
How to consume water in the morning
Consuming water in the morning is a vital daily habit. It’s something we can all benefit from in order to take better care of our health and bodies. But to achieve this, it’s important to drink water moderately and calmly. It won’t give the same benefits if we drink too much water all in one go. In fact, this can actually cause health disorders. Here are some recommendations concerning drinking water on an empty stomach:
- If you want to drink two liters, or 4 glasses of water, it’s best to spread it out throughout the day. 4 times a day is a good guideline. You can start by drinking one glass of water on an empty stomach. Then, after breakfast, another glass, and then two glasses before other mealtimes throughout the day.
- As you get used to consuming water regularly, we recommend you start with small amounts. You can start by drinking one glass of water on empty stomach, and then gradually increase to 2 or 3.
- You should drink only high-quality water. Make sure that your tap water really is drinkable. If it isn’t, you should consider purchasing bottled water.
- If you want to complement all these benefits of water for your health, then why not add a little lemon juice to your glass?