Seven Alkaline Food Combinations to Eat Daily
We’ve all heard plenty about the magical health benefits of alkaline food. Despite it all, you might still be wondering whether it’s really necessary to take the plunge and include this type of food in your daily diet.
As you’re probably painfully aware, there’s no shortage of food fads and advice from supposed gurus who promise everlasting health and well-being if we follow certain specific diets. Most of them have no scientific basis and are rather risky to your health. There are a few you can consider, however.
For example, you can bet on alkaline foods to enjoy a better internal balance and improve your quality of life so add them to your shopping basket and then to your plate.
If you want to enjoy a better internal balance and a good quality of life, it’s a must. Adding alkaline foods to our shopping carts and, consequently, to our dishes, can’t help but give our health a boost.
This isn’t exactly to change the acid-base balance of the organism (which it doesn’t in any case), but because they’re fresh vegetable products. In fact, they contain vitamins and nutrients that are essential to your health. At least according to an article published in the journal Nutrition Reviews.
Now, if you’re wondering if you should entirely do without acidic foods and stick to alkaline ones, the answer is no.
It’s really all about maintaining a balance. In this case, don’t eat more than 30% of acidic foods per day. The remaining 70% should be alkaline.
Here are seven great suggestions for a whole week.
Alkaline food combinations
Consider the following combinations of alkaline foods for your diet if you’re into these types of methods to improve it.
Always keep in mind that the fact that these are just some recommended options and they shouldn’t be the only things you eat. Keep in mind that variety is the key to a wholesome diet
1. Avocados and pomegranates
This combination makes for a sensational breakfast choice. Pomegranates have strong antioxidant properties, promote cardiovascular health, and are a treasure trove of vitamins A and C and minerals like magnesium.
Plus, eating pomegranate with half an avocado will further enhance the alkalizing power of both types of fruit. This is due to the omega 3 content of avocadoes, a lipid that helps improve cardiovascular health. At least according to a study published in 2017.
2. Blueberries with carrots and dates
Carrots have a mild alkalizing effect. While they don’t have as strong an effect as avocados or lemons, eating them with any forest fruit is an instant alkalizing remedy. Try them out with any of the following:
Go ahead and prepare yourself a delicious natural juice, or simply a salad of carrots and any one – or all – of these fruits. You may also want to include some dates as these will add a sweet touch and deliver an even higher alkaline charge.
3. Oatmeal with kiwi is a great alkaline food
Have you ever had oatmeal porridge with kiwi? It makes for a fabulous, filling breakfast that’s nutritious, satisfying and, above all, has powerful alkaline properties.
These two foods are some of the most remarkable of the many foods that lie somewhere on the alkaline scale.
- Did you know, for example, that a kiwi is richer in vitamin C than an orange?
- Oatmeal, on the other hand, is without a doubt the queen of cereals. It’s a food that takes care of your heart and your well-being alike. Keep it in mind as a nutritious option every day of the week.
4. Watercress, seaweed, and asparagus
This combination can be a fantastic complement to any meal or special dinner. Plus, it’s an ideal accompaniment for a tasty piece of salmon or grilled chicken breast.
- Watercress, algae, and asparagus are all great sources of antioxidants and vitamin B
- Not only this, but they also pack a powerful punch in terms of iron and calcium contribution, not to mention that asparagine, an amino acid found in high concentration in asparagus, is great for the nervous system.
5. Broccoli with lime and garlic
No idea what to eat tonight? Then don’t hesitate to try this delicious and highly alkaline recipe: broccoli with garlic and lemon.
- Firstly, the combination of broccoli with lemon, which has strong antioxidant properties, enhances digestion and elimination of lipids and fats.
- Also, garlic, contains allicin, a substance currently under study due to its medicinal potential.
This combination is as delicious as it’s healthy, you’ve got to try it.
6. Lime, lemon, papaya, and parsley
This may strike you as strange but these four types of food combined are great for the kidneys.
- For instance, papaya is the healthiest laxative out there and thus, great for cleansing the colon
- Parsley, on the other hand, is the favorite plant of our kidneys
7. Watermelon and cucumber
Make a bowl of chopped watermelon and cucumber or blend them for a refreshing drink.
- However you decide to do it, go ahead and try this natural recipe. They’re two alkaline foods that are rich in fiber, apart from having plenty of water, lycopene, beta-carotene, and vitamin C.
Yes to alkaline food, no to alkaline diets
Note that alkaline refers to the acid-base balance of food itself. Thus, at no time should you think that the intake of these products is capable of alkalizing body fluids or blood pH because this is not the case.
Finally, alkaline food usually comes from plants and its regular consumption is quite good for health.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Collese TS., Nascimento Ferreira MV., Ferreira de Moraes AC., Rendo-Urtega T., et al., Role of fruits and vegetables in adolescent cardiovascular health: a systematic review. Nutr Rev, 2017. 75 (5): 339-349.
- Mori TA., Marine OMEGA-3 fatty acids in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Fitoterapia, 2017. 123: 51:58.