Lemon, Olive Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar: An Ideal Remedy for Kidney Stones
A mixture of lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar makes a great vinaigrette for salads. However, it can also be a natural remedy for the elimination of kidney stones.
Kidney stones or renal calculi cause discomfort due to the pain they generate in the lower back or stomach. They’re produced by high levels of calcium oxalate and phosphorus.
According to some beliefs, the citric acid present in lemon has an alkaline effect and can fight the substances that promote the formation of kidney stones. That’s why we’d like to share a remedy with you that combines this and two other healthy ingredients (olive oil and apple cider vinegar) to help dissolve them. It can be used as a complementary treatment alongside any prescribed by your doctor.
What causes kidney stones?
The accumulation of minerals, both in the kidneys and in the bladder, causes the formation of kidney stones. Normally, these minerals are converted into tiny crystals that are expelled without problems through the urine.
A problem occurs when the stones become so large that they can’t be expelled. Thus, they become lodged in the kidneys and urinary tract, causing severe pain. The reason for this excessive accumulation is the lack of water in the body, the consumption of too much sugar or salt, being overweight, and certain hereditary factors.
There are different types of kidney stones:
- Calcium oxalate: The most common type of kidney stone. They’re formed when oxalate combines with calcium. It occurs due to excessive consumption of fried foods, beets, or chocolate.
- Uric acid: They’re more common in men and are produced when there’s an excess of this acid in the body. They’re caused by consuming too much red meat and/or seafood.
- Struvite: They’re more common in women and tend to increase excessively in size. They’re caused by kidney infections.
- Cystine stones: These types of kidney stones aren’t particularly common. They’re caused by a genetic disorder.
According to popular belief, consuming water with lemon within a healthy diet could help dissolve kidney stones, since it can stimulate urination and the elimination of waste through the urine.
- 1 glass of water (250 ml).
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (60 ml)
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to a glass of water.
- Drink it on an empty stomach or between meals.
- Drink in moderation throughout the day.
Olive oil remedy
Olive oil is one of the healthiest foods you can include in your diet. It’s also a useful ingredient to include in some remedies for dissolving kidney stones.
Although it can be consumed in salads and different dishes, olive oil combined with lemon can also be a suitable remedy to fight kidney stones.
Here’s how to make it:
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml).
- 2 tablespoons of oil (30 ml).
- 1 glass of water (250 ml).
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Drink the mixture, preferably followed by a glass of water.
You might be interested to read: 6 Health Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Apple cider vinegar remedy
It’s believed that apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which, when consumed, could stimulate the production of alkaline substances in the body. Thanks to this, kidney stones may be destroyed, and their formation prevented.
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (15 or 30 ml).
- 1 cup of water (250 ml).
- Honey (to taste).
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar to a cup of water and sweeten with a little honey.
- Drink it three times a day to decrease kidney stones.
It’s also recommended to add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to your juices or smoothies. Including it in salad dressings is also a really good idea.
Lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar
If you want to combine all the properties of the three ingredients you can prepare a more concentrated remedy. The results will be even more beneficial. However, you must bear in mind that, by combining the ingredients, the remedy will have a stronger taste.
- 1 ½ glasses of water (375 ml).
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml).
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice (75 ml).
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (15 ml).
- Drink 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, followed by a glass of water.
- After half an hour, dilute 2 or 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it.
Other natural remedies for kidney stones
In addition to those mentioned above, there are other natural remedies that may help eliminate kidney stones. Among these are:
- Pomegranate juice.
- Dandelion infusions.
- Thistles (Tribulus Terrestris).
- Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).
You might also like to read: Science-Backed Properties of Apple Cider Vinegar
A healthy lifestyle for the prevention of kidney stones
Kidney stones can be easily prevented with a balanced diet without excesses and good hydration. Furthermore, the ingredients mentioned in this article may also help to strengthen your immune system and prevent other kidney diseases.
It’s a good idea to also add them to your meals as a form of prevention. After all, lemon, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar are versatile products with multiple benefits. Make sure you enjoy them!It might interest you...