8 Homemade Remedies to Shrink Large Pores
Besides minimizing enlarged pores, these homemade remedies will also help fight acne and other blemishes while exfoliating your face.
A lack of hydration and moisturizing, improper cleansing, and your daily habits (like smoking or not exercising) can lead to dull, wrinkled, abused skin. It can also lead to enlarged pores. Find out how to help to shrink large pores in this article.
Natural recipes to shrink large pores
Enlarged pores have become a major concern for men and women. While benign, they are often considered unsightly. However, contrary to what many think, there is no treatment that can close them.
In fact, as dermatologist Valentin De Benito Rica points out in his blog, pores cannot be opened or closed, although there are some ways to improve their appearance. Thus, when we talk about “sealing the pores”, we’re only referring to a way to clean them so that they aren’t so noticeable.
Sometimes you can only see them in magnifying glasses, but other times they’re in plain sight.
What can you do to reduce enlarged pores?
According to a publication in the journal Dermatologic Surgery, the treatment of enlarged pores depends, to a large extent, on the factors associated with their development. Thus, the dermatologist could suggest one treatment or another depending on possible underlying causes such as:
- Excessive sebum
- Decreased elasticity around pores
- Increased volume of hair follicles
Topical retinoids, chemical peels, oral antiandrogens, lasers, and other processes that may be helpful for this cosmetic problem are now available. However, each case must first be evaluated by a dermatologist.
Homemade remedies for enlarged pores
However, there are some natural remedies that can also contribute to the cleansing of enlarged pores to give the skin a fresher and softer appearance. They are solutions that lack scientific evidence, but have been used since ancient times as allies of skin health.
Therefore, there is anecdotal data that suggest that they leave the skin free of impurities and dead cells. Include them in your regular beauty routine and see for yourself if they cause benefits against enlarged pores.
1. Egg and oat mask
The ingredients in this remedy act as an exfoliant, which can help remove impurities from the enlarged pores.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (20 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of oats (20 g)
- Beat the egg white and then add it to the lemon juice.
- Keep mixing and add the oats.
- Once you obtain a well-mixed paste, apply to your previously washed face.
- Then make circular movements to exfoliate.
- Finally, rinse with warm water.
2. Cucumber mask
When you think about beauty treatments, you picture a woman with cucumber slices on her eyes… and it’s true, they’re awesome!
You can use the vegetable to shrink large pores and make your face look firmer and radiant.
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (20 g)
- Peel the cucumber and process in a blender. You could also grate it very finely.
- Then add the cucumber and cornstarch to a container.
- Mix until a thick paste is formed.
- Apply to your face, previously washed, with circular movements.
- Let sit for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Use a moisturizing cream once finished.
3. Almond mask
Nuts are beneficial to our health, but also to improve the appearance of our face. Whether they are grated or crushed, they can act as a perfect homemade exfoliant. Prepare this recipe and discover how your enlarged pores are reduced.
- 1/3 cup of almonds (70 g)
- 3 tablespoons of water (30 ml)
- Grate or grind up the almonds until a powder is obtained.
- Mix with the water to form a grainy paste.
- Then apply the paste with circular movements, starting with your nose and moving towards your cheeks, forehead, and chin.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and wash with warm water.
- Repeat twice a week.
4. Tomato lotion
Recent research published in Skin Pharmacology and Physiology suggests that tomato phytonutrients help protect the skin against UV rays. In addition, being rich in water, it is ideal for moisturizing, softening and cleansing pores.
- All you have to do is apply homemade tomato juice to your face with a cotton ball after showering. Repeat every night.
5. Milk serum
A little buttermilk can help remove impurities that are retained on the surface of the skin. It can therefore be a good option against enlarged pores and blackheads.
- After washing your face and before going to bed, apply a bit of milk serum (or whey) with a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- If you don’t have milk serum, you can do the same but with natural (sugarless) drinkable yogurt.
Check this article out:
6. Baking soda mask
Baking soda is a staple in everyone’s home. It’s useful in cleaning, beauty, and health. It also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help with acne and large pores.
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda (20 g)
- 2 tablespoons of warm water (20 ml)
- Add the baking soda and water to a container.
- Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Then, apply it to your face with circular movements to exfoliate well.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse with cold water.
7. Papaya mask
This delicious tropical fruit has many properties for the skin. You can use the peel as a home remedy to reduce open pores. It is very simple:
- Smooth the inner side of the skin over your face.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and wash with warm water.
8. Honey mask
Honey is a rich sweetener for our recipes and infusions, but it also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that significantly improve the appearance of the skin. It helps fight acne and other imperfections in the dermis, while reducing skin infections.
- 1 tablespoons of oats (5 g)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- Add the oats to a container and pour the honey in, little by little.
- Mix well to get a grainy paste.
- Apply to your clean, dry face, starting with your nose and forehead.
- Continue with your cheeks and don’t forget your chin.
- Let it sit 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
There’s no magic formula for sealing dilated pores; in fact, it is not possible to close them. What we can do is keep the complexion clean to minimize its appearance. Therefore, we can try some homemade solutions.