Why a Ketogenic Diet Is Good for You
While it may be tough at first for your body to get used to a ketogenic diet during the first few weeks, but later it will stabilize and you’ll see the benefits.
Have you been hearing people talk about ketogenic diets lately? If not, or if you have any questions about why it’s good for you, continue reading to find out. You’ll learn — and probably find it quite interesting — how it may help you get healthier and reach your desired weight.
How does a ketogenic diet work?
The ketogenic diet basically gets the liver to produce enough ketones for them to be used as an energy source. This goes by the name “ketosis.”
Normally, your body produces insulin for energy. However, this can cause glucose spikes when you eat too many carbs or have unhealthy habits. In order for this to take place properly, you need to eat foods containing high quality animal and vegetable fat.
1. A keto diet reduces excess body fat
In a ketogenic diet, fat is used as energy instead of being stored in your body. This means that the fat deposits you already have will be used up and you will lose weight.
- Combine this diet with exercise if you want to tone your muscles and get rid of flab as well.
- See a nutritionist before starting the diet. They will teach you which kinds of fat to eat and how much.
2. It will stabilize your insulin levels
The increased levels of ketones in your body will lower your blood sugar, which is good for insulin resistance and lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Consider a keto diet if your doctor has told you that you have prediabetes or metabolic syndrome.
- Also ask about ketone supplements and if they’re right for you. There are several types on the market that can help speed up the glucose regulation process. But remember that it is not a good idea to take supplements or medication without a doctor’s supervision.
2. It will be easier to lose weight
A ketogenic diet is excellent for weight loss because it reduces your appetite and controls cravings. In addition, since you’ll be consuming more healthy fat and protein, your body will stop being so dependent on glucose for energy and you’ll feel satisfied with fewer calories.
Because fat is metabolized in the absence of carbohydrates, overweight people are able to lose weight more quickly and without the risk of losing muscle mass. Still, it’s important to mantain good habits once you’ve reached your weight loss goal.
4. A ketogenic diet is good for your blood
Since it means consuming fewer carbs, a keto diet will help keep your triglycerides at normal levels and increase your levesl of HDL (good cholesterol). This translates into:
- A lower risk of cardiovascular illnesses and disease.
- A lower risk of arterial blockage.
- Normalization of blood pressure.
To enhance these effects, make sure to eat only lean meat, and make sure you are consuming high quality oil and fat sources.
5. You’ll feel satisfied with less food
Your body will be satisfied longer with less food when you follow a ketogenic diet and consume more protein as recommended. It’s a perfect if you want to lose weight.
Side effects of a ketogenic diet
Like any other diet, the keto diet has side effects that you should consider. They are:
Feeling generally unwell
Your body will have to get used to utilizing ketones in place of insulin, so the initial weeks may be tough. You will experience:
This is also due to your glucose levels getting stabilized, especially if you have diabetes. So make sure to talk with your doctor and nutritionist if you have any questions. If you have diabetes, you’ll also need to be constantly monitoring your blood sugar.
People who begin a ketogenic diet sometimes forget to eat enough vegetables. If that’s you, then you’ll probably have trouble going to the bathroom. The most effective way to prevent or treat constipation is to drink enough water on a daily basis. Additionally, you should be careful to increase your consumption of fiber-rich food.
With this diet, your body will be taking in less energy in the form of glucose. Therefore, it makes sense that it will take time to get used to burning fat instead. The learning process can make you feel tired or like you have no energy all the time.
If you exercise a lot, try to lower the intensity in your first weeks on the diet and work out with a partner to make sure that you’re ok as your body gets accustomed.
Are you excited to try out the ketogenic diet? Are you already on it? What do you think about it?
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Covarrubias Gutiérrez, P., Aburto Galván, M. y Sámano Orozco, L.F. Dietas cetogénicas en el tratamiento del sobrepeso y la obesidad. Nutrición Clínica y Dietética Hospitalaria, 2013; 33(2): 98-111
- Dieta Cetogénica. [Internet]. ¿Qué es la dieta cetogénica y cómo funciona? Disponible en: https://dietacetogenica.pro/
- Lambruschini Ferri, N. y Gutiérrez Sánchez, A. Dieta cetogénica. Aspectos clínicos. Aplicación dietética. Hospital Sant Joan de Déu, 2012.