What are the Duties of the Maid of Honor and Best Man?
If you’ve been selected to participate in a wedding, know that this is a great honor. However, you’re probably wondering just what you need to do to be a good best man or maid of honor.
This article will explain all of the tasks and responsibilities that you need to know.
The Maid of Honor and Best Man
For starters, it’s important to clarify that the best man and maid of honor are people that the to-be bride and groom choose. Normally, the best man and maid of honor are people that are close to the couple, such as a good friend, a cousin, or even a sibling.
While there can be multiple bridesmaids or groomsmen, there are usually just one maid of honor and one best man. The number of people in the bridal party is up to the couple.
Typically, the couple usually asks each person to be a part of wedding.
The Responsibilities of the Maid of Honor and Best Man
They Help Plan the Wedding
One of the major responsibilities of the maid of honor and the best man is to help plan the wedding. Some examples include helping the bride choose a dress or helping decide what food will be served at the reception.
In some cases, the bridal party may even help decorate the venue of the wedding or the reception.
Either way, the bridesmaids and groomsmen are supposed to help make things easier for the couple.Your main role is to help make their wedding day as perfect and unforgettable as possible!
Also read: 10 Fall Wedding Ideas for Your Big Day
Planning the Bachelor or Bachelorette Party
This is one of the most fun responsibilities of groomsmen and bridesmaids.
Usually, the bachelor/bachelorette party is a surprise for the groom and/or bride. Therefore, they should not know any of the details of the party. Depending on the couple, the party can be separate or one party for both the groom and the bride.
The most important aspect about organizing the bachelor/bachelorette party is to remember what the bride or groom likes and to think about what they would want. For example, if the person prefers more relaxing plans, doing a spa weekend may be perfect. On the other hand, if the couple loves karaoke, you can reserve a bar where they can sing karaoke with all of their closest friends and family.
It may seem a little tedious and even stressful planning the party, but once the party starts, it will all be worth it!
Discover: How to Keep a Marriage Happy
The Maid of Honor and Best Man’s Duties on The Wedding Day
When the big day arrives, the best man and maid of honor still have responsibilities.
So, what exactly do you need to do on the wedding day?
- Help the groom or bride get dressed. You should not only help them get dressed, but should also be there to encourage them and help calm their nerves.
- Accompany them to the altar. Typically, before the bride walks down the aisle, each bridesmaid and groomsman will walk down the aisle.
- Give a toast. Usually, during the reception, the best man and the maid of honor will give a toast to the newlywed couple. This toast may be funny stories about the couple or emotional stories and heartfelt wishes. The toast also usually includes thanking the couple for choosing him or her to be a part of the wedding and wishing them well in their life going forward as a couple.
Enjoy the Celebration
Essentially, these are all the responsibilities and tasks of the best man and maid of honor. We hope that if you’re preparing for your own wedding or if you have been chosen to take part in a wedding, that this article has helped you.
Remember that if you have been chosen as the best man or maid of honor for someone’s wedding, then you are someone very special to the couple. They not only consider you to be a dear friend, but they believe that you can help them have a successful and happy wedding and that you will continue to be an important person in their life as a married couple.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- del Picó Rubio, Jorge. (2009). EL MATRIMONIO RELIGIOSO EN EL RÉGIMEN JURÍDICO CHILENO: EL SISTEMA MATRIMONIAL CONSAGRADO POR EL ARTÍCULO 20 DE LA LEY N° 19.947. Ius et Praxis, 15(2), 51-77. https://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-00122009000200003
- Hipp, R. (2017). Orígenes del matrimonio y de la familia modernos. Revista Austral de Ciencias Sociales, (11), 59-78.
- Mendoza Ontiveros, Martha Marivel. (2010). El compadrazgo desde la perspectiva antropológica. Alteridades, 20(40), 141-147. Recuperado en 15 de febrero de 2019, de http://www.scielo.org.mx/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0188-70172010000200011&lng=es&tlng=es.
- Osornio, Arturo Miranda, & Cisneros, Héctor Favila. (2012). La comida y su protocolo: Sentido y significado de los modales de mesa entre los otomíes de la comunidad de San Gregorio Macapexco – México. Estudios y perspectivas en turismo, 21(6) Recuperado en 15 de febrero de 2019, de http://www.scielo.org.ar/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1851-17322012000600012&lng=es&tlng=es.