5 Signs You're Dating an Egocentric Person
Are you dating a person that seemed great at the beginning, but now you’re not so sure what to think? Does it seem that everything revolves around them? In this case, you may be dating an egocentric person.
Did this ever come to mind?
It’s important to begin by understanding that egocentric people believe that their own opinions and interests are more important than others’.
Yes, it’s healthy for a person to put themselves first. However, trying to be the top priority in other people’s lives isn’t healthy at all.
If a person does that, then they’re definitely egocentric. Read on to find out if you’re dating one.
They need you to validate their importance and qualities all the time
Egocentric people may seem really confident, but it’s actually quite the opposite.
These people are often very insecure so, if you’re dating an egocentric, they’ll ask for your opinion all the time and need your approval.
You’ll find yourself answering these questions all the time:
- How do I look?
- How does this look on me?
- Do you like me?
- What do you like about me?
If you doubt whether your partner just wants your opinion or is self-centered, analyze if they behave the same with everyone. You should also analyze how they act when you say a negative comment.
A stable person understands that it’s just constructive criticism, but an egocentric person will take things the wrong way. They’ll most likely start arguing or get defensive.
Want to know more? Read: How to Change Your Negative Thinking
They analyze each situation only considering how it affects them
Another sign that you’re dating an egocentric person is that they only analyze situations considering how it affects them.
For example, you may have had a bad day and want to stay home to rest or just to talk.
A normal partner would understand that you feel bad and accept to stay in to talk or just to keep you company. An egocentric person, however, would get mad if they already made plans and would hold it against you without caring about how you feel or what you need.
This is because egocentric people have little to no empathy, meaning they only care about themselves and their needs.
They want your full attention and for you to be available when they need you
Another common situation when you’re dating an egocentric person is that they want you to always be available. Whether they need you to listen to them or you to go meet them wherever they are, egocentric people just want to control the people around them.
Do you feel exhausted and sometimes want some distance? Have you had to stop doing what you’re doing and even leave people or situations that were very important to you for that person?
- While at the beginning you may feel flattered that someone needs so you urgently, eventually that person will end up being a burden.
- If you’re in this situation, remember that you have every right to set your priorities as you see fit and not have to put aside the things that interest you for another person.
Doesn’t remember the most important things for you
Have you been dating a person for months and they don’t even remember if you have siblings? Have you told them several times what your least favorite food is but they keep on ordering it because they forgot you don’t like it?
Yes, the person may be a little absent-minded. Everyone makes mistakes, but an egocentric person will not have the slightest interest in hearing what you have to say.
They may seem like small things, but that doesn’t mean they’re unimportant. It’s the small things that tell you just how interested someone is in you.
When they don’t remember relevant things, it implies that you’re just another person they don’t want to pay attention to.
Take a look at this article: A Person’s Greatness Lies in the Small Details
They talk all the time and don’t give you the opportunity to communicate your ideas
Another sign that you’re dating an egocentric person is that you’re stuck listening to them talk all the time. They may allow you to talk at certain points, but maybe only so you can tell them they’re right.
Do you feel that what you say isn’t interesting for that person and that the entire conversation revolves around them? This is a crystal clear sign.
What to do When You’re Dating an Egocentric Person
- Set boundaries. It’s important that you set and respect your boundaries so your self-esteem isn’t affected. If that person isn’t able to respect your boundaries, maybe you should stay away to avoid major problems.
- Explain what makes you feel bad or uncomfortable. Unfortunately, they may not be interested in what you have to say. However, it’s important you do this to clarify the situation and also give them the opportunity to make changes that can improve the relationship.
- Put distance between you two. You must be realistic and understand that some people just aren’t prepared to have a healthy relationship.
Luckily, there are millions of people in the world, so you don’t have to tie yourself down to an egocentric person.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Novoa Patiño, José. (2011).El egocentrismo en la teoría del desarrollo de Norbert Elias1. http://www.scielo.org.co/pdf/unih/n71/n71a05.pdf