The Side Effects of Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian cancer is caused by the uncontrolled growth of cells in the ovaries. This type of cancer can involve the formation of tumors in the area and can also spread to other parts of the body.
Treatment for this disease must be carried out by a qualified specialist to ensure that the side effects are as minimal as possible. Nevertheless, there are certain adverse reactions to treatment that may be inevitable, such as the ones we’ll discuss below.
Side effects of surgical interventions for ovarian cancer
In this article, we’ll talk about some of the discomfort, side effects, and consequences that ovarian cancer patients may face during their treatment for this difficult disease.
Effects of anesthesia
Some of the negative side effects of general anesthesia include respiratory or cardiac problems, blood clots, hemorrhages, and infections.
We recommend you read: How is ovarian cancer detected
Effects on the body
During surgery, certain parts of the body will be directly affected, including the bladder, blood vessels, the intestines, and the lymph nodes. In some cases, it may be necessary to remove the lymph nodes found in a patient’s pelvis.
If this is the case, there’s a risk that the lymphatic system will break down and lead to lymphedema. This causes the legs to fill with fluid, leading to swelling.
Extreme side effects
It’s possible that when surgery is underway the patient will lose her ability to bear children. In the case that they wish to have children, therefore, they should make sure to undergo fertility conservation planning prior to the surgery. This will guarantee they have viable eggs for a future pregnancy.
We invite you to read: How to increase fertility
The effects of chemotherapy
The side effects of chemotherapy will vary depending on the medication being used.
Common side effects
- Total or partial hair loss,
- Excessive fatigue,
- Hemorrhages and infections caused by a loss of red blood cells,
- Nausea, vomiting, and watery stools (diarrhea),
- Canker sores and a loss or change in sense of taste,
- Cramps or tingling due to damage to peripheral nerves,
- Mild pain in the ears and muscles,
- Redness, darkening, and inflammation of the skin.
Less common side effects
- Blurred vision,
- Low blood pressure,
- Abdominal pain,
- Allergic reactions,
- Headaches or migraines.
The effects of radiation
The effects of radiation and chemotherapy are the same. Patients who undergo radiation therapy are also at risk of having digestive problems, however.
Natural ways to reduce the side effects of ovarian cancer
When face with a degenerative disease like cancer, nature provides us with the tools to create medicines that are highly beneficial.
Certain foods and herbs are excellent for reducing some of the side effects of ovarian cancer treatments.
Let’s take a closer look at some of these foods and medicinal plants.
1-Mint teastrengthen your immune system and help your body prevent and fight diseases
- 7 to 10 mint leaves (1 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- Honey or lemon juice to taste
- Bring the cup of water to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the mint leaves.
- Remove from heat at and let it steep.
- Add the honey or lemon juice if desired.
- You can drink this tea at any time during the day. However, it’s best to have a cup in the morning.
These mushrooms contain beta-glucan, a chemical that has been shown to inhibit certain types of cancer. Shitake mushrooms are common in Japan where they are used to treat ovarian cancer and other diseases.
- 12 fresh shitake mushrooms
- A bunch of scallions (200 g)
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil (15 g)
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (30 ml)
- ½ tablespoon of mirin (7.5 g)
- Slice the caps of the shitake mushrooms.
- Chop the scallions and season the mushrooms and scallions with sea salt.
- Place this mixture on a grill or saute until the mushrooms are a golden brown.
- Mix the liquid ingredients to make the sauce.
- Wash the lettuce and dry it well.
- Tear the leaves into pieces.
- Toss everything together in a salad bowl.