Dust is a combination of soil particles, pollen, and other substances in the environment that enter the home through your doors, windows, and the soles of your shoes.
It can trigger health problems because dust easily passes through your airways and into your lungs, causing irritation or allergic reactions.
Most annoyingly, it’s inevitable that dust will invade your home and require regular cleaning to avoid any adverse health effects.
Your furniture is where the majority of the dust tends to accumulate, and over time it will start to look dingy and opaque.
Considering that you already know you need to clean your furniture often, in today’s article we want to share a recipe for a homemade disinfectant that will remove dust from your home.
Let’s learn how to make it!
Homemade cleaning product to remove dust from furniture
This homemade cleaning product is made from a combination of organic ingredients that will remove dust and dirt without altering the natural color of your furniture, leaving a beautiful shine.
Unlike the products sold in stores for the same purpose, this one contains no harsh chemicals, making it better for the environment as well as your health.
It’s great for removing those annoying dusty spots that gradually build up when you forget to clean certain areas.
It contains olive oil, a product that’s very popular around the home because it can hide scratches in wooden furniture and protect surfaces like wicker, metal, and glass.
Since we’re not choosing an olive oil for nutritional or cosmetic purposes you can use any of its refined forms, or even leftover oil that’s been used for food preparation.
We’re also going to harness the wonderful properties of lemon essential oil, because in addition to its pleasant scent it’s rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties that will enhance the cleaning effects.
Its application will destroy any allergens and facilitate the removal of mites, bacteria, and other microorganisms.
Finally you have white vinegar, an ingredient that’s been used for decades as a green cleaning product.
The natural acids in vinegar remove dust and eliminate the environment that pathogens need to proliferate.
As a result, your furnishings will be free from odors and so bright that they look like new.
How do you make this homemade furniture cleaner?
As with other natural cleaning products, the ingredients for this one are easy to acquire and won’t pose any danger to your skin or respiratory health.
We recommend you prepare a small amount for each use so that it doesn’t become less effective over time.
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil (15 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon essential oil (3 g)
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar (62 ml)
- 1 3/4 cups of water (312 ml)
- 1 16 oz spray bottle (450 ml)
- 1 microfiber cloth
- Mix the olive oil and lemon essential oil in a small bowl.
- Stir well with a spoon and add the white vinegar and water.
- When you have a homogeneous liquid, pour this mixture into a spray bottle and proceed to use it.
Instructions for use
- Spray an appropriate amount of this cleaner on furniture, wait a few minutes, and then wipe with a microfiber cloth to remove dust.
- Repeat this procedure if you find your surfaces still appear dirty.
- You can use this on wood, leather, or glass.
For polishing furniture
If your furniture looks dingy even after you remove dust and dirt, consider trying this simple trick with olive oil and lemon.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil (64 g)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (10 ml)
- Combine the olive oil and lemon juice, and rub this mixture directly on any surface using a cloth.
- Wait for it to air dry before you place any objects on the surface.
- Mix this in small quantities because it does not store well.
Try any of these simple ideas and you’ll find that cleaning your furniture is a lot less complicated when you have such excellent assistants!