Reasons to Quit Smoking and Strategies for Success
In fact, there’s been a significant increase in tobacco use in woman and young people under 18. Apparently the campaigns aren’t effective; tobacco is still an addition with a social factor that’s deep-rooted in our society.
Despite the fact that the reasons to quit smoking are endless, it’s still hard for us to kick the habit. If you’re thinking about quitting this terribly harmful habit, we’re inviting you to take the step. Make the right choice with our post below.
Reasons to quit smoking
Most smokers aren’t aware of how it can affect their body. They don’t realize what happens when this addiction slowly takes them over. The shocking numbers, like how a cigarette contains close to 4,000 chemical elements, of which 400 have carcinogenic effects, should be more than enough reason to cut the addiction.
However, considering your health, there are even more reasons to kick the habit. Some of them are the following:
- After 20 minutes without smoking, blood pressure goes back to normal.
- 12 hours after quitting, carbon monoxide levels in blood normalize. The body eliminates it completely by the next day. The lungs also start to eliminate tobacco residue.
- After two weeks without smoking, lung function improve considerably and the body stops gasping for air when walking or running.
- Over the course of the first 8 months of not smoking, there’s a decrease in infections, shortness of breath and coughing.
- With a year of not smoking, your risk of suffering heart problem decreases.
- After 5 years, there’s a decrease in the risk of certain types of cancer such as throat, bladder and esophageal cancer.
- Over the course of 10 years, the risk of suffering from lung cancer decreases by 50%.
Is there a method that works to stop smoking starting today?
It’s essential to understand that there isn’t “one method” to quit smoking. There are many strategies that can help smokers leave this dangerous addiction behind.
In any case, smokers who want to quit need to take several different approaches. Working towards a goal by looking at the big picture is what will help smokers get the results that they want.
Areas to consider if you want to quit smoking
To quit smoking completely, you have to do certain things in two vital areas: the psychological and dietary. Some necessary steps in each area are:
1. Psychological area
- Controlling the social and emotional factors that lead to smoking (being with certain friends, smoking after a cup of coffee or during work breaks).
- Seeing yourself as a nonsmoker and telling friends and family the same thing. These are cognitive strategies that can strengthen willpower.
- Learning breathing exercises and starting to go through life mindfully can help with withdrawal symptoms.
- Finding new ways to stimulate your brain, exercising, and trying inspirational activities like sports.
Want to know more? How Many Years Does Smoking Take Off of Your Life?
- Avoid sweets as they can make tobacco cravings stronger.
- Eat protein regularly. However, avoid eating them in excess because the body’s metabolism slows down when you stop smoking.
- Increase vitamin C consumption in your diet: oranges, lemons, mango, kiwi, berries, grapefruit.
- Have breakfast soon after getting up to prevent cravings. Staying away from coffee is essential because it’s a stimulant that heightens nicotine cravings.
- Opt for teas that soothe cravings. For example, cinnamon, licorice root, valerian, passion flower tea.
- Add detoxifying soups to your diet, such as artichoke soup.
Useful products to quit smoking
If you want to enjoy the benefits that come with kicking the habit, you need to consider using the strategies, habits and products with the highest success rates.
Adding onto the psychological and dietary plans above, smokers who want to quit can turn to a variety of products on the market for reducing withdrawal symptoms. Quitting smoking is an act of serious willpower that will take mental focus and some of the following products below:
- Nicotine gum: Chewing gum can serve to replace tobacco because the body can absorb nicotine through the mouth’s mucus membrane. It’s a very helpful option.
- Nicotine tablets: All you need to do is pop on of these tablets into your mouth to control your cravings to smoke as well as the withdrawal symptoms.
- Mouth spray: The spray can reduce cravings within minutes. You just need a couple of sprays and goodbye cravings!
- Nicotine patches: Just stick them onto your skin for a controlled flow of nicotine in your body.
If you’re one of those people who’ve caved and turned back to smoking more than once, we’re pushing you to not give up. Even if you’ve left it ten times and are on try eleven. Tell yourself that you deserve a life that’s healthy and free of diseases linked to cigarettes.
Find the strategy that best suits you and your goals. Remember that deciding to quit smoking is the first and most important step to a much healthier life. Congratulations!It might interest you...