How to Possibly Prevent Herpes Labialis
Herpes labialis, also known as cold sores, is a fairly common condition that develops from the herpes simplex virus type 1. It can spread from person to person, but there are also herpes labialis cases that spread by oral sex, caused by the herpes simplex virus type 2.
Symptoms of herpes labialis
When the symptoms begin, the virus makes the skin look red and tingle. It also produces small ulcers. In some cases, these ulcers itch or cause other discomforts in the affected area or pain.
Read more here: Fight Cold Sores with 5 Natural Treatments
A lot of people suffer from frequent cold sore outbreaks, although sometimes the condition can be latent and appear once again after several years.
What does it feel like to have a cold sore?
The first thing you feel is a strong pain in your mouth and lips. It could also cause fever and throat pain accompanied by inflammation of the neck lymph nodes.
Once the blisters have appeared, the ulcers generally open and release a transparent liquid that forms a scab and then disappears after a few weeks.
Discover: 10 Natural Treatments for Cold Sores
Herpes labialis could be provoked by the flu, fevers, menstrual periods, emotional discomforts, sun rays, strong cold, fatigue, and stress.
Lip care tips and necessary recommendations
- It’s best to avoid touching any bodily fluids that could be highly contagious, like kissing someone who is infected or using someone else’s eating utensils. Also, avoid drinking from the same cup or eating from the same plate.
- Using a good lip protector is a good option to avoid sun exposure that produces outbreaks.
- Iron and zinc are two very important vitamins for skincare, which is why you should nourish yourself with a balanced diet based on these components. Other vitamins like A, B, C, and E are beneficial as well.
- Garlic is an antiseptic food, so eat it in the morning before breakfast. Make sure it’s fresh. It may help strengthen the immune system and is also a good oral germicide. If you can’t eat garlic before breakfast, take garlic capsules. This is a good natural supplement.
These are a few of the main lip care tips to avoid causing an outbreak. Always remember to use some sort of lip moisturizer and also use condoms when you’re going to have sex with your partner.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Snoussi, M., Trabelsi, N., Dehmeni, A., Benzekri, R., Bouslama, L., Hajlaoui, B., … Papetti, A. (2016). Phytochemical analysis, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Allium roseum var. odoratissimum (Desf.) Coss extracts. Industrial Crops and Products. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2016.05.048
- Gaby, A. R. (2006). Natural remedies for Herpes simplex. Alternative Medicine Review.
- Opstelten, W., Neven, A. K., & Eekhof, J. (2008). Treatment and prevention of herpes labialis. Canadian Family Physician. https://doi.org/10.1186/cc9185