Onion Soup for Your Kidneys
Onions are one of the greatest medicinal foods. With highly depurative, antiseptic, and diuretic properties, it is an ideal remedy to fight any kind of kidney-related problem like urinary infections, kidney stones, fluid retention, etc.
In this article, we will explain the easiest way to take care of your kidneys by doing a 9-day kidney cleanse involving onion soup. You will notice results right away and your kidneys will thank you for it.
Properties of Onions
Onions are rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, chlorine, copper, iron, phosphorus, iodine, silicon, sulfur, etc. It also contains vitamins A, B, C, and E. These values give it the following health properties:
- It is diuretic, which is why it helps fluid retention, swollen eyelids, edemas, etc.
- Fights inflammation
- It is a huge antioxidant
- It is antiseptic, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal: it helps fight infections caused by bacteria, microbes, and fungus
- Improves breathing
- Protects you from cardiovascular diseases
Making the Onion Soup
To make the onion soup, boil one onion per liter of water. As an option, you can add parsley sprigs along with the onions, which will also help deeply cleanse your kidneys.
Drink the soup made with two liters of water and two onions every day. You can make more and save it in the refrigerator for a maximum of two or three days.
How to Eat it
Throughout the day, outside of meals, eat the soup in small sips, at room temperature if possible. If you would like, you can add a little bit of lemon juice to it.
It is highly recommended that you consume at least two glasses on an empty stomach at least half an hour before breakfast.
Try to consume the soup everyday before midday to prevent needing to go to the bathroom at night.
The 9 Day Cure
The depurative kidney cure that we recommend lasts for nine days. Along with consuming the soups, follow these suggestions:
- Prevent eating salt and salty foods. You can add salt to your meals with a little bit of salt water (sold in natural product shops and some supermarkets)
- Reduce your consumption of animal protein (especially meat, milk, and dairy products) and prioritize vegetable protein. An excellent legume for your kidneys are adzuki beans, which coincidentally is the shape of the kidneys. Other sources of vegetable protein besides legumes are dried fruits and mushrooms. You can also eat eggs and a little bit of fish, even though they have animals.
- Avoid refined sugar and sugary foods. Use honey or stevia to sweeten.
- Kidneys, along with the liver, are the main organs that tend to get cold and cause kidney diseases to get worse, a lack of energy and fatigue, pains in the lumbar region, etc. In order to prevent this, always keep the middle and lower area of your back warm. At night, you can put a bag of hot water or electronic pad on it for awhile.
- If you do physical activity and you sweat, this will help loosen your kidneys. By overworking them, it will be another way to eliminate fluids from your body.
An Example of a Healthy Daily Meal Plan
Here is a healthy meal we propose for one day:
- On an empty stomach: two or three glasses of soup
- Breakfast: whole wheat toast and an omelette
- During the morning: a few glasses of soup
- Mid morning: dried fruits
- Lunch: lentil soup and whole rice, mixed salad, and apple preserves sweetened with honey
- Mid afternoon: a few glasses of soup
- Snack: banana and cranberry shake
- Dinner: cabbage with potatoes, stir fry with garlic, and fish fillet
Some people don’t digest raw onion well, but it is possible that it does digest well if it is cooked. We recommend trying this with caution. If there are symptoms of indigestion, avoid continuing the cleanse.
Images courtesy of looseends, lablascovegmenu and muffet