Great Natural Treatments for Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are a health condition that indicate poor circulation. Aesthetically speaking, they can be very noticeable and affect a person’s self-esteem. This article will explain how you can use homemade natural treatments for varicose veins, and even to eliminate ones that have recently appeared.
Natural treatments for varicose veins that improve circulation
The liver is primarily what causes varicose veins, because this organ regulates circulation and purifies the blood of toxins. That’s why you should always keep in mind that, when considering natural treatments for varicose veins, you should begin with a good diet, based on the following foods:
- Fruit and vegetables: of which, lemon, grapefruit, artichoke, and chicory stand out.
- Legumes: cooked with cumin, kombu seaweed, or fennel.
- Whole grains: especially rice, millet, quinoa, or buckwheat.
- Eggs, preferably organic
- White meat
- Fruits and dried fruits, raw or baked, but never fried or salted
- Seeds: raw or sprouts
- Cold-pressed oils: sesame, olive, sunflower, linseed, wheatgerm, etc.
- Vegetable drinks made of oats, rice, or nuts
- Spices like pepper or turmeric.
Also, avoid or limit consumption of the following foods:
- Red meat and packaged meat
- Milk and dairy products
- Fried food and ready meals
- Alcoholic beverages
Regulate the intestines
The intestines are an organ that directly influences circulation throughout the body. Because it is located in the torso, the central area in the body, if it doesn’t function correctly, then it creates a blockage that then impedes correct circulation throughout the entire body.
That’s why you should naturally treat your intestines, especially if you suffer from constipation, or a tendency towards diarrhea or irritable bowel, which are the most common problems.
Infusions for the circulation
You need to care for yourself from the inside out. Natural treatments for varicose veins should include infusions. That’s why we recommend drinking infusions every day, especially ones that contribute to improved blood circulation. You could choose the following medicinal plants, for example:
- A plant for improved liver function: boldo, dandelion or milk thistle (caution is important with patients with liver problems).
- Rosemary or centella asiatica to improve circulatory functions in the extremities (do not take rosemary if you suffer from hypertension).
- A plant for improving micro-circulation: ginkgo biloba.
- Linseeds to regulate intestinal function.
You could add the juice from half of one lemon to these infusions, along with a bit of stevia or honey for sweetening.
Cold water can often provide great relief for circulatory problems, but only when applied correctly.
- Firstly, moisten your legs with cold water. You could do this in the shower, in a sink, a pool, the sea, with a hose, etc.
- Then stay in the water for a few minutes.
- After that, dry your legs to let the heat back into them. This is truly very healing.
- If they don’t warm up then try some sort of exercise or massage.
Moisturizing cream and massage
To improve blood flow to your legs even further, you should massage them at least once a day with a specific product; we always recommend something natural, with unharmful ingredients.
You could opt for a moisturizing gel or cream, or you could prepare your own oil by mixing a base of almond oil with a few drops of some of the following essential oils:
- Centella asiatic
- Indian horse chestnut
Massage your legs using circular motions, always upwards towards the heart. Lastly, use a closed fist to make upward movements.
Read more: 6 Foot Care Tips So They Always Look Impeccable
Every night, before you go to bed, lay down on the ground, on the bed, or on the sofa, and then raise your legs high into the air. If possible, press your glutes against the wall and keep your legs entirely vertical, creating a ninety degree angle with your body.
Then hold the posture for 15 to 30 minutes, or until your legs start to go to sleep.
This simple exercise, which is similar to some yoga postures or other body therapies, is very effective and relaxing if done daily.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
Arora, M. (2017). Management of varicose veins. JK Science. https://doi.org/10.9738/INTSURG-D-14-00084.1