Natural Remedies for Yellow Nails
Although yellow nails may be caused by different factors, the properties of the ingredients of these natural remedies can get your nails back to their natural color.
Yellow nails are unsightly. After all, having manicured hands with clean and healthy nails is synonymous with good habits. This is why we decided to share three natural remedies for yellow nails in this article.
To keep your nails in good shape, it’s important to have good habits and eat a balanced diet. That said, let’s take a look at some of the causes of yellow nails.
What Causes Yellow Nails?
You might believe that that ugly yellow color is the product of the nail polishes you use to paint them. However, health imbalances also cause this problem.
It’s important to note that some diseases manifest with this symptom, such as:
- Nutritional deficiencies: A lack of nutrients can lead to yellow nails. Low protein, minerals, and vitamins levels are detrimental to health. Thus, it’s vital to include vitamins A and B, calcium, iron, and zinc in your daily diet.
- Health problems: Yellow nails are signs of stress, poor diet, and liver failure. This is why it’s important to keep your stress at bay.
- Fungus: Nail fungus also turns nails yellow. You can get a nail fungal infection from another person or in any public place. Fungi enter through microscopic cracks and infect the entire nail. To prevent them, you should be careful with your feet and hands in wet places such as swimming pools and gyms.
- You should also quit smoking, not use old nail polishes, avoid using artificial nails, and avoid wearing closed shoes for too long.
Take a look at this article: 7 Solutions to Strengthen Weak Nails
How to Treat Yellow Nails
Three easy-to-find ingredients are great natural remedies that can help cure this unsightly problem.
Three Natural Remedies for Yellow Nails
Lemon contains enzymes with whitening properties. It’s often used in cleaning products because it helps to remove grease and odors. Furthermore, it’s characterized as a very powerful antiseptic and antifungal.
- For this home treatment, you have to rub a slice of lemon on your nails. If it burns or hurts, you can dip a cotton swab or cotton ball in lemon juice. Then, you have to let the juice act for 15 minutes and then remove it with warm water.
- Another option is to soak your nails in lemon juice for 10 or 15 minutes. Then, use a bristle brush on your nails, wash them with water and, to prevent the skin from drying, apply a moisturizing cream. This natural remedy will also make your nails shine.
Before you go, don’t miss: 7 Uses of Lemon For Beauty
2. White vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Vinegar is a product that, in addition to treating yellow nails, allows them to grow healthy and strong. It has antifungal properties. In addition, if the yellow spots are caused by nail polishes, vinegar can whiten them.
- All you have to do is add equal parts warm water and white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to a bowl.
- Then, soak your hands or feet in the mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes. After that, massage your nails and dry them with a towel.
- You should repeat this treatment at least once a month.
3. Baking soda
This is one of the best natural whiteners. It’s also an excellent exfoliant that will help remove all impurities from your hands and feet.
- The first step is to mix a tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, and baking soda.
- Then, scrub this mixture on your nails with a brush and leave it on for at least 10 minutes.
- After this time, remove with water.
- Repeat this procedure twice a week until you see an improvement.
A Natural Remedy that Combines the Previous Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (9 g)
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil (7.5 ml)
- ½ tablespoon of white vinegar (7.5ml)
- The juice of two lemons
Preparation and Application
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you make a paste.
- Then, apply it to your nails in a circular motion with a soft bristle brush.
- Leave the paste on for at least 15 minutes and then remove with water.
- Finally, apply a moisturizing cream or a cosmetic oil to prevent skin dryness.
- Repeat the treatment until your nails are no longer yellow.
However, you can’t overdo it with these natural remedies, as they may cause adverse effects. When in doubt, it’s best to consult a specialist.